Portable Band Saws

I built my portaband stand entirely out of shop scraps, but definitely recommend a deep cut, foot pedal, and adding some type of stand or table to rest the parts on.

It has a speed control wheel
I'd certainly hope so! I use my saw a ton and on a variety of materials. Plastic, wood, steel, aluminum, copper, etc. It's just a lot more convenient to use the external controller that's in front of the saw, plus it has a lot more resolution.

I actually tried a foot switch, too. For me, it was just another thing to trip over.
I built my portaband stand entirely out of shop scraps, but definitely recommend a deep cut, foot pedal, and adding some type of stand or table to rest the parts on.
Same here. I needed a saw stand one day so I threw mine together out of what was already on the workbench. Took maybe an hour. I used 1" Sch 40 steel pipe for the legs, 1/8" 316 stainless for the top, and 1"x1/8" mild steel for bracing between the legs. The saw is just held on using a couple machine screws in holes that were already in the saw.

The top is about 12"x12" and I coped it to fit the contour of the saw, just for looks.

One thing I ended up adding later was an aluminum chip tray. REALLY cuts down on the mess.

So, interestingly enough I tried my Deadman switch that I already have for my scroll saw. It didn't work. Nor does a zip tie, or even a clamp. If the trigger is depressed before the saw is powered, then it will not run. It must be powered before the switch is depressed.

It does cut nicely though. I will try some more later. But so far only brass. Next session may introduce some .125 nickel silver and brass, and perhaps some knife steel.

I haven't had one any other tools in the shop either, but I really like it.
I went the opposite way with my wood cutting bandsaw. I took the electric motor off and put on a Honda gas engine. When I'm using it, I fire it up and just let it idle when I'm not using it. LOL.

I wanted a variable speed wood bandsaw, but also wanted it outside.

As a bonus, I actually use the vibration from the motor to shake the dust shoot that comes off the bottom of the saw.

So, interestingly enough I tried my Deadman switch that I already have for my scroll saw. It didn't work. Nor does a zip tie, or even a clamp. If the trigger is depressed before the saw is powered, then it will not run. It must be powered before the switch is depressed.

It does cut nicely though. I will try some more later. But so far only brass. Next session may introduce some .125 nickel silver and brass, and perhaps some knife steel.
Sounds like a safety feature. That's what ya get for getting one of them fancy Bosch saws! :D

I can tell you from experience, with a good blade. 1" thick solid square for hardy tooling isn't a problem. Not just mild steel, either. I know I've cut 1" 4140 and 1045 shaft.

I recommend keeping a variety of blades on hand and don't hesitate to swap them. Just like belts for the grinder.

The most aggressive blade that I'm aware of for the 44-7/8"X1/2" saws is 10TPI. Starrett sells some on Amazon.

Edit: the 10TPI would be good for cutting shanks for hardie tooling, but I I bet where it'd shine would cutting handle material down to rough size.

Addressing the issue where you have to reset the trigger every time you want to make a cut. This isn't an ideal solution, but when I first made my saw stand, I used this style clamp on the saw's trigger. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-.../4-in-ratcheting-bar-clampspreader-68974.html
Might be worth a shot for 99 cents LOL
I have a similar clamp on my Milwaukee Porta-band. It's worked so well I've never bothered with a zip tie. And I have the foot switch for it also. The thing I like about the foot switch, or deadman switch if you prefer, is I can turn it off so fast. Not because of safety, but because it's so loud. Even though I wear ear muffs when I use it, the foot switch saves me more than one headache.

Of course the mini table is on a slider like in track. Definitely a little different design from some of the videos I've seen. :)

I made up a switched outlet box that my Porta-Band plugs into. You could make one for about $15 worth of electrical parts from the hardware store. My saw plugs into the outlet, and a standard switch turns power on or off. I can't remember how I locked my trigger... I think I use a small c-clamp or a couple of zip ties.

The "switch box" mounts on my bench just under where my bandsaw lives.

I made up a switched outlet box that my Porta-Band plugs into. You could make one for about $15 worth of electrical parts from the hardware store. My saw plugs into the outlet, and a standard switch turns power on or off. I can't remember how I locked my trigger... I think I use a small c-clamp or a couple of zip ties.

The "switch box" mounts on my bench just under where my bandsaw lives.
That wont work for the Bosch. The switch gets locked out if it is powered up already.

Back