portable band saw which one ?

dienekis

As above i am looking to buy a protable band saw.Theonly way its to get from the US and be shipped.
So i was thinking to go for a Dewalt and would the harborfreight do the same iwth less money.

Thank for taking time to look

Vagelis

Vegils, I've gone through 4 HF portabands in less than 18 months. All had the same failure; the bearing system is absolute garbage! Of course, HF is only a 10 minute drive from my home and their warranty assured that I spend only the original amount and no more. Each replacement was covered. If I were in your situation, having to import one, a DeWalt, Makita or a Milwaukee would be my only choices. Having had the pleasure of using all three at one point or another, you really can't go wrong with either.

I agree, if it's got to go all the way to Iceland, avoid the Harbor Freight and go with a Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Cry once and get a quality tool.
I have both a Milwaukee and Harbor Freight saw. The Milwaukee is an older 2 speed saw (15+ years) and still kicking. You do need to replace the tires every so often. On the other hand, the HF is about 6 years old and is used quite often BUT.....
Unless you're handy and a problem solver, don't waste your money. The tires on the HF went south the second month I had it. No biggie, a few wraps of duct tape worked better than the tires did and I freshen it up every so often on both saws. Old trick I learned from a plumber in the 70's. Next, before the year was out, the blade ate through the body casting behind the top wheel, blade kept falling off. Luckily a tringular carbide insert fit right in to act as a blade stop/guide with the hole and screw that was already there. If you build a table for it be sure that the cut filings don't vibrate or get pushed into the motor vent holes behind the blade. It's LOUD. Other than that....it's still working on a weekly basis in my shop. I'm really surprised it lasted this long but I'm always prepared to fix it or chuck it.

You may want to look at the Makita saw. Makita has a worldwide distribution and service program that may work to your benefit if service is needed. I'm still using 25+ year old Makita saws in my business daily. I wouldn't pay for shipping to have a mediocre tool sent to me, nevermind knowingly buy one.

Good luck,
Rudy

I've been through a couple of porta-bands...... I had TWO Milwaukee saws, neither lasted more then 3 months....both had issues with the idler bearings giving out, and the idler support literally cutting it's way through the upper wheel. The first time they replaced the saw, the second time they told me it was a "know issue" and refused to replace it....so I went to a Dewalt model D28770, and it's worked flawlessly for over 5 years now. So personally, the Dewalt gets my vote.

I've know MANY folks who purchased a Harbor Freight saw, and only those who use it rarely are happy with it.

Being in Iceland, you might also look into the Metabo tools. They're in Germany and make a decent higher end tool.

Ed,
I'm surprised at your luck with the Milwaukee saw. They've been a mainstay on just about every construction job I've been on. I got mine used over 15 years ago and only replaced a trigger and of course the tape for tires. Although I'm not familiar with the newer line...probably China made. The HF saw was a misguided but appreciated gift from someone who doesn't know any better, they still get a kick knowing that I still use it. My 4 x 6 picks up the slack.

Rudy

Thanks alot with the replies! You are right i will go in a good brand and probably to Dewalt.I found milwakee here but they are cordless and the price is double than buying and importing them from the USA crazy

My Milwaukee seems to be strong. I think the tire got flattened since I left the blade tensioned but seems to work really well.

Have to agree with Rudy. Been using a Milwaukee for yrs commercially in the ironwerks and have literally beat the heck out of it. No problems.
John

I have a HF and I made a little frame to use it like a mini vertical band saw. Ive cut A LOT of steel and Titanium with it and I ve have it 8 years +. THe switch went out but I just plug it in after I bypassed it.

I made one. I'd rather hack a bit with my 14" chop saw and let the belt grinder do the rest. Too damn slow.
I use it to make patterns from aluminum. Not much more.

Attachments

• hfredo2.JPG
    hfredo2.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 14
I've had the same HF saw for 3+ years. The gear teeth went south about a month ago. On the other hand, I have a Milwaukee saw that runs like a champ and makes the HF seem like a kids toy.

Back