PKA Show In Denver

Sneak Peek

Here is a picture of the few knives I have ready for the show. I am running behind!! I would like to get this many more finish plus I still have sheaths to make. Let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 54
Way to go Shane. You really are getting ready. I have a couple little fixed blades with no sheaths yet. Hardly enough to post yet. I really like your top one and the two folders. All are beauties. Post the rest when you are ready. Maybe we can get others to post here for this show.

Here is one I just finished and plan to take it to the show. Its a "Baby Bowie" and is really small.

100_7925_edited.jpg

100_7915_edited.jpg

100_7916.jpg

100_7918.jpg

Looking good Shane :s11798:.

Looks like you have a pretty decent start on a good bunch of knives for the show. I only have 6 I can take so far... and I'll be pushing it to get even a couple more done (but I'll be trying my best, that's for sure).

Bruce, that little bowie is beautiful and super cool too. All the awesomeness of the full size, in a small easy to carry package :yes: Don't know if that would count as a "miniature" but if it can, I think it deserves an award for that.

Here's the most "recent" one I have done for the show (been done for about a week). I'm going to have to get some different pictures of it, the ones I took make the ironwood burl and things look a bit "red", and a bit dark, but it gives the idea anyway. Bruce, this is what I did with that W Pattern blade I posted when I introduced myself.

W_Pattern_Fighter2.jpg

Spent this weekend heat treating, grinding, and even a little forging. Got to keep pushing, full steam ahead!

Thanks Bruce and Graham!

Bruce that Baby Bowie is SWEET!!

Graham those are some awsome looking knives!!

The show will be here before we know it.

Graham this small fighter is gorgeous. Love the look of the consistant "W"s and pretty burl too. More More.

Graham this small fighter is gorgeous. Love the look of the consistant "W"s and pretty burl too. More More.

Wow, Thanks Bruce!. Means a lot comming from someone who produces work of your caliber. And thanks Shane, as well!

Just finally got around to ordering some business cards for the show... went ahead and put this one on the front of the card :). They should look pretty nice. Full color front and back, 2 day turnaround, and not too pricey either ($40 delivered for 500, from 48hourprinting.com).

Hoping to get a "fancier" mosaic pattern fighter done (or close to it) this comming weekend. I've started fitting up the guard, so its just a matter of doing that, a spacer, handle, and doing all of the shaping/finish work... so not too much :001_rolleyes: Hoping it will turn out really nice.

Everyone keep posting some "preview" pictures of things, I definately enjoy seeing what everyone will be bringing.

It is getting so CLOSE!! Is everyone excited?? I'm excited!!

Yes, very excited! I cant wait to see our "BFF" too. ("best friends forever" Dana and Sandy for all you who dont have teenage daughters that text every 3 minutes.)

Its going to be a good time for sure.

I'm working on a 2 blade mini feather folder that I hope to have done in time. Should be able to snap a picture of the others tonight.

Sorry about no pictures of my knives. I do have a couple for sale but somebody must have hacked into my photobucket account. I cant upload anything on it.

James Poplin from Pops Supply is coming through Oklahoma Wednesday night and leaving a few care packages for some of us.He will continue his journey on Thursday bright and early.

James Poplin from Pops Supply is coming through Oklahoma Wednesday night and leaving a few care packages for some of us.He will continue his journey on Thursday bright and early.

Jim is good people. He is always going out of his way for us. Say hello for me will ya?

I think my Photobucket is working again. If so here are some pics of my handful for the Denver Show

100_8048.jpg

100_8028.jpg

100_8032.jpg

100_8040.jpg

100_8045.jpg

Last edited:
We had a good show and sold most everything we brought. The room was full of nice knives, it isnt named "PKA" (Professional Knifemakers Association) for no reason. Dana and I picked up some great stag and sent it home with Culpeppers who were there too for the amber dying. There were several tables full of great woods, bone and ivory ripe for the picking. Thats whats nice about a 3 day show because Friday is perfect for shopping for materials. Saturday was busy and foot traffic was good. I met some experienced collectors and took an order for a pistol/folder. Thank God for some job security.

Dana and Sandy put up with Kaye and I for the duration and even took us for a 250 mile trip around Pikes Peak without actually climbing it. That was the best scenery we've ever seen. Lots of game animals too. At around 10,000 I cant explain how the pressure felt on my face and eyes. I'm glad Dana didnt drive up the last 4000 feet to the top.

Here is our new found friend Graham Fredeen
His work is amazing.

100_8103_edited.jpg

100_8104_edited.jpg

Shane and Lacy Atwood
Shane had some of the best liner lock folders I've seen. I wish I had a shot of them.

100_8106_edited.jpg

Dana's awesome Bear Paw Bowie

100_8094_edited.jpg

Heres a shot of Kaye and I at our table. Notice the Winding Feather Bowie won an award for "Best Fighter"

100_8100_edited.jpg

Bruce, Kaye, Sandy and Dana.

100_8111_edited.jpg

There were more cameras than mine if anybody else wants to post some of your shots please feel free.

Last edited:
Hey Bruce,

It was great getting to meet you and Kaye, and get the chance to talk a bit and spend some time together (and see your awesome work in person too :thumbup1: ). Going to try to put some of the new ideas I got from you into action soon (hopefully). Look forward to the next time we can get together!

It was also great meeting Shane and Lacy. Didn't get a lot of time to talk to them, but we'll have to try to fix that next time around. Shane does indeed do a great liner lock. If I ever get the courage/time to try my hand at one, he's the guy I'll be talking to.

And of course its always great spending time with Dana and Sandy. Can't think of any folks that get much better than they do.

I had a good time at the show. Was hoping to do a little better on sales (none, lol), but those things happen sometimes. Met a lot of great folks, talked to lots of good people, collectors, etc. so it was worth it. Almost won an award, so thats not half bad either.

I didn't really get many pictures of the show. Dana will have to come by and share his, I think he got a lot more than I did. I don't know who's camera was used for the big "knifedogs group shot", but they should share it here too.

Here's what I got though:

My table

2010PKAShow003.jpg

Me at my table

2010PKAShow005.jpg

Bruce and I

2010PKAShow007.jpg

And Dana with his West Texas Wind Spearpoint

2010PKAShow008.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Bruce for the Best fighter award, Looks like everyone had a good time. Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

We had a good show and sold most everything we brought.

A question and a comment. What was left over and is it up for grabs?

100_8100_edited.jpg

Out of all the excellent work on his table, notice which piece Bruce picked up for this photo!

Congratulations on what looks to have been a very nice show.

I only had one left. Its a good one too.

A-2 steel hunter with koa wood handle scales. The tang is tapered and I put a rockwell test proof mark next to the ricasso. It tested a 61 rc. I had it overpriced at $500 and learned my lesson the hard way. PM me if you want it. :)

100_8028.jpg

Last edited:
Back