pig knife

Well the title says it all !! I have a request to make a knife for a farmer that farms pigs , looking for a 15cm blade, razor sharp, needs to be thick due to chopping through knee knuckles/ribs etc but still be good for general butchering with a sharp point , needs to have removable nylon/rubber handle scales to clean -was thinking of a nessie type else if that fails a chainsaw?? Anybody make a butchering/camp knife before that fits the bill ? Any design/feedback ideas would be appreciated .

I think that a Nesmuk style blade with stall matting handles bolted on should fill the bill. Do a full flat primary grind with a convex secondary grind. If that doesn't work then the chainsaw might be the next best thing.

Doug

Forschners are a favorite of a lot of commercial butcher's.

A Nesmuk as Doug has described will work well and be a good tool for other field chores. I have made knives for butchers & Hog Hunters and there can be a wide swing of knife patterns and power tools used in butchering. A frame saw works well too!

Also a Micarta Canvas handle hand sanded to 220 grit is nice and grippy when dealing with blood & Guts. Also if you seal it properly with epoxy you can dunk it in a bleach and water mix for clean up. Also a canvas Micarta handle can be made removable if the customer insists? Micarta will out last the rubber stuff hands down.

Always wear a real respirator when working Micarta as the fumes will make you dumb & slow long before your time.

Have fun.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Actually, I agree with Lawrence on the execution of the handle. The only reason I mentioned mentioned the stall matting scales for removable handles is that was what was originally specified. Something like Micarta or G10 that is sealed to the tang with a good waterproof epoxy is just as sanitary as a knife that can be disassembled for cleaning. Given a rough finish, like a course canvas Micarta or course weave G10, they can be just as slip resistant. If you really want to prevent the hand from slipping over the blade then you should consider something like a single branch guard.

Doug

Back