Personal Update

nc_cooter

Been a while since I posted anything. This past March i hit the burn out wall and it was all I could do to finish a group of knives for a collector.
I have always wanted a flint lock rifle, so I took the plunge. Ordered a kit that was in the style of J. Dickert, circa 1775. I jumped in with both feet and in about 10 weeks I had a 54cal. smoke pole.

Sweet-S-1.jpg

Of course I had to make some accoutrements to go with the new rifle gun.

P4080001.jpg

In May, the son of my best friend asked if I would be willing to teach him to forge knives. I told him that he would have to learn how to forge first and only then could he even think about making knives. I asked if he was willing to spend his summer learning how to forge and he said yes.
We started in June and for 6hrs a day, two and three days a week, we were in the shop at the forge. I gave him two blacksmithing books for reading assignments on his off days. I had him keep a journal of what he learned during each class day and to write down questions for the next class.
He made round stock into square and square stock into round. He learned tapering and drawing. He made S hooks and a set of tongs.
He started on his first blade the last week in July and finished it the first week in September.
Gage's first blade.
Gage-1.jpg

Gage-3.jpg

Gage-4.jpg

Gage-5.jpg

Gage did all the work on this blade, except the H/T which I did. He also made the sheath. I am very proud of this young man.
I am now making knives again so the teaching was good for me also.

PS: Gage is 6'-5" and weighs in at 250lbs. He will be 13 in October and will continue his lessons when football season is over.

1st: Nice Flintlock..very cool
2nd: Way to be a Mentor and teacher , good on you
3rd: Glad your back at it , when I burned out it took me almost 2 years before I got back in.
4th: That kid may just play for the Steelers someday.

Thanks for the complements on the flintlock. I don't think I will do another one. Lot's of time involved and for me a steep learning curve.
Gage is an exceptional student and will go far with his knives.

Back