Oooook here goes my second attempt.

redhorsetactical

I started this grind today. I watched a few more videos on the hollow grind and tried to figure out where I was going wrong on my first one. I definitely feel better about this one. I feel I had a bit more control over the process and not just riding the wheel to where it takes me. I need to still do a lil bit more stock removal on the upper bevel. Not sure what it is called but tried to grind it on the wheel and wasn't how I planned. So intend to file it to have a better look. I built a too rest for my nwg and I think that gave me some help. I still have issues with the tip of the blade. The only thing I can think is to pull straight and slightly push the spine towards the wheel at the tip to prevent a crazy diamond effect. So please tear me apart I need to learn.
3a4yrery.jpg
epe9ama4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Travis,
You seem to be doing fine. You can leave the tip thick and finish it after HTment.
I recommend you drill your holes before you grind the blade bevels or hollows.. its safer that way so it doesn't turn into the helicopter blade of death and remove any digits.

When I get to the end of the past of the blade on a grinding belt I draw the handle towards me just a tad to get the tip right. Nothing really replaces you just doing it! So, Its time to make another. lol.

Travis,
You seem to be doing fine. You can leave the tip thick and finish it after HTment.
I recommend you drill your holes before you grind the blade bevels or hollows.. its safer that way so it doesn't turn into the helicopter blade of death and remove any digits.

When I get to the end of the past of the blade on a grinding belt I draw the handle towards me just a tad to get the tip right. Nothing really replaces you just doing it! So, Its time to make another. lol.

I appreciate the response man. Yea I thought about leaving it thick but I got a lil ahead of myself. If my kids didn't interrupt me I probably would have sharpened the darn thing too hahaha . Yea when I drilled the holes of the blade and ribs I meant to do the handle to but I wasn't sure of my scale attatchment method yet. But I do hear you on the helicopter of doom. It happened during the nwg build. I learned how helpful a clamp is during drilling hahaha

And also before I finish the blade I'm going to try on a few pracice pieces first so I don't make a repeat of the last one

Not bad for number 2 grind. Checkout the ABS YouTube channel there is a lot of information there that applies to general knife making not just forging.

Remember the more you make the better you get!

Not bad for number 2 grind. Checkout the ABS YouTube channel there is a lot of information there that applies to general knife making not just forging.

Remember the more you make the better you get!

Awesome ill have to check it out for sure. I just got the loveless video and the art of hollow grinding. So I'm going to dig into those today

Heat treated yesterday. Heated to critical . Quenched. Then tempered at 400 for 2 hrs. Cool down then 400 2 more hours. Did the final grind tonight. I'm going to acid wash the blade and do the poor mans tumbler. Scales and sharpen tomorrow. I took it really slow with the finishing of the hollow grind. Its not perfect but I'm happy with it this time.
bubyjabe.jpg
nyvuvute.jpg
ypezy9u6.jpg

an armed society is a polite society

Not bad at all!, Im trying to learn to Hollow grind also, another newbie. What kind of steel are you working with? (Im playing with O-1 for now) tell me more about your Heat treat method ( I havent done that yet) also what H.G. video are you watching and what do you think of it?
Thanks!

Not bad at all!, Im trying to learn to Hollow grind also, another newbie. What kind of steel are you working with? (Im playing with O-1 for now) tell me more about your Heat treat method ( I havent done that yet) also what H.G. video are you watching and what do you think of it?
Thanks!

Hey man I appreciate it. I'm using 1080 right now. Next I'm going to 0-1 or 400c . Not that I'm great at it lol but once you get the feel of the wheel on the blade and your hollow develops its easier to feel the groove and stay in it. Kinda like a rut on a dirt road. The video I watched is the art of hollow grinding. If you google it. It'll bring up his page to buy it. I think its 35 bucks but well worth it.

The heat treat method was one I found on here but you can look it up on youtube that way its easier to visualize it . Just look up oil quenching knives or heat treating knives. The tempering is something I read on the forums. For peoples methods .

uqy6uzy8.jpg
unete3u4.jpg
7ypuzu3y.jpg
enahunu4.jpg

Well I think for number 2 it came out ok. I'm pretty pleased with it. I used 1/4 stainless bolts for the pins. I threaded the scales and tang to match epoxied everything then tightened the bolts and ground the heads down. It wasn't my preferred method but its all I had. Acid washed and tumbled the blade in the dryer. Seemed to work ok. Took 40 min. To get the desired finish.
So tomorrow I will sharpen it and then make plans for a sheath.

I'm sure you guys will see some things on it and I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Hmmmm. I have a spot on the blade that just will not get an edge. Is it possible that during heat treat this spot just got farted up? Its only about 5/8 along the blade about and inch up from the ricasso. I've jigged it with wetstones, tried an Arkansas stone and as a final try I put a trizact a6 belt on low speed and tried. Everything else gets a razor edge but that spot is just like ehh. If you look at the edge in the light you can see the spot as well.

Back