New to knife building... heres my attemtp

LesterTroll

So after my favorite lock back work knife broke due to misuse by me. I decided to take it all apart and fix it. I did and I also realized that it was cheaply made. This gave me all kinds of ideas and the lurking and web searching began. I also realized I had most tools nessessary to build a knife of my own.... just needed some knife steel which I quickly ordered.
This thread may be a work in progress by a newbee.... helpful to some and entertaining to others..... lol. I’m aiming for a slip joint, if you’ve got some know how to share please don’t hesitate with constructive critisism.
Here is where I am as of this evening:

Out of some scraps from the bin:
8AD6A079-3217-4D2C-BAAC-6022664CC7C4.jpeg

And the blade and spring.... both 1095
044D1356-DDE1-413D-9DCB-11976F678316.jpeg

F2AD8A89-FAFF-4CE4-88A4-83BD7C5D3943.jpeg

18AB9FE7-ACD1-42EC-B0DB-DBC94E8488F2.jpeg
I am having alot of fun !!

Last edited:
Oh no, I just noticed I miss placced this thread. I ment to have it in the folding knife section.
Any moderator out there who can help??

Thansk

Don Robinsons ‘Slip Joint my way’ is now on the way... it will be a few weeks until I get it here in Norway. I’ll be tinkering along in the mean time.

L

Last edited:
I only had a quick trip in the shop today, got started on the liners. they are stainless steel. I got the liners rought out and I soft soldered stailess steel bolsters on. Also did some machine plating on the insides. Hopefully it will be alittle noticeable if you look. The devil is on the detail they tell me. ;)

63F337A9-5898-4085-8756-AA5283286490.jpeg

F4317E6F-A301-4417-8FDB-96EA1435A991.jpeg

Thanks guys, nice to hear for you.

Don I’m looking forward to reading every word and closely examining every picture in your book. I’ll keep in touch
L

Oh’no. I used soft solder to keep the temp low so I wouldn’t heat warp or harden the stainless steel. But I only soldered the bolsters to the liners... blade is not in contact with the soldering tin at all.
I’m new so I may have my knife terms wrong.
What to you mean with tang?

L

I made a fly cutter out of scrap round stock and a broken end mill for the nail nick. I may change the angle of the bevel on the cutter or lower the nail nick. Somthing id making my eyes hurt... what you guys see?
I also made a blade grinding jig.... its take one... there will probably be a take two and three on the jig... Ijust need to use it to see what changes are needed. Problem is I have ZERO experiance blade grinding. How do I go about it what angle do I set the jig at??? :oops:
Any tips are welcome, Hopeing not to destroy the blade.
956F9840-F33A-40ED-9AE3-07AA763DD92E.jpegB0FA8449-C5DE-40CF-948A-60C0BEF669D2.jpeg4D108029-9E5D-483B-BA40-A13D20EBDAB4.jpeg
Thanks
L

Oh’no. I used soft solder to keep the temp low so I wouldn’t heat warp or harden the stainless steel. But I only soldered the bolsters to the liners... blade is not in contact with the soldering tin at all.
I’m new so I may have my knife terms wrong.
What to you mean with tang?

L
The blade tang is next to the handle.

I made a fly cutter out of scrap round stock and a broken end mill for the nail nick. I may change the angle of the bevel on the cutter or lower the nail nick. Somthing id making my eyes hurt... what you guys see?
I also made a blade grinding jig.... its take one... there will probably be a take two and three on the jig... Ijust need to use it to see what changes are needed. Problem is I have ZERO experiance blade grinding. How do I go about it what angle do I set the jig at??? :oops:
Any tips are welcome, Hopeing not to destroy the blade.
View attachment 66021View attachment 66022View attachment 66023
Thanks
L

The nail nick looks great to my eye.

Back