New sidekick

Talkin’ Bout dogs....
When I went to the prison to pick up Agnes (bloodhound) as a 9wk old puppy, I asked the guards who train the dogs how difficult it would be to train her to find a wounded deer. They literally laughed and said “take her home and try it, it’s already done.” I tied a piece of meat to a string and drug it probably 100 ft. That was easy. Next I moved on to a 10 acre patch of woods and played hide and go seek with meat on a string again. She nailed it! We never trained again lol. She found deer, people, whatever. I would simply slap the ground where there was blood or hair and say “where’s he at Aggie?” She would drag me along the path that the target took and normally within minutes we were done. I used to always say, “she might smell bad, but she smells well!” I miss my dog.

I found it so hard when we lost our Rotweiler (Tala) that it was a number of years before we got another family member and Bruno the Schnauser,(Grouvolk Bruno von Gruff - so you know where I got my screen name ) burrowed so deeply into our hearts that when we lost him we decided we could not bear another loss like that so we wont get another pup but I really like dogs and enjoy seeing the fur children of other forum members. The English mastif is a wonderfull dog and as has been said the food bills are going to be interesting so that may be an insentive to make (and sell) more knives :):):)

I can certainly identify with the pain of loosing one..... we had to put Hammer down last December.....

Hammer_Duck_Oct094.jpg

Hammer has been the best Duck dog that has owned me to date. :)

I've been down that road before, and so far have always had a new pup in place prior to loosing the older...... this one is Blade.....

Blade_Knife.jpg

Rightly named! :)

It's not very often the truck moves without the whole gang inside...... I think the only reason I get to drive....is because I'm the one with thumbs! :)
IMG_1884.jpg

left to right: Hammer, Blade, and Boomer ..... he was a rescue that my Mrs. picked up while I was away at a knife show.....but believe it or not, I trained him to retrieve, and now if he doesn't get to hunt with the lab, he's not a happy camper.

My whole life I’ve had dogs, and in the hardest times as a bachelor. My dog has always been my greatest comfort and helped me make it through some pretty stormy crap!

I found it so hard when we lost our Rotweiler (Tala) that it was a number of years before we got another family member and Bruno the Schnauser,(Grouvolk Bruno von Gruff - so you know where I got my screen name ) burrowed so deeply into our hearts that when we lost him we decided we could not bear another loss like that so we wont get another pup but I really like dogs and enjoy seeing the fur children of other forum members. The English mastif is a wonderfull dog and as has been said the food bills are going to be interesting so that may be an insentive to make (and sell) more knives :):):)

I've had a few dogs, my last one was a black lab 'Ruger' I had him for 14 years. when I had to put him down it was worse than when some people I knew died. then the wife got a cat, then another. in time we ended up having to put both of them down. I'm not much of a cat person but when something lives in your house with you for 10 + years it hard to take them to a vet and have them put down. the wife is over having pets, I believe for that reason.

I'm moving to 30 acres in a couple years and talked about getting a couple goats, nope she says. a horse?, nope. dog, cat, nope.
I will probably get a barn cat for the shop though.

on a lighter note... I have a neighbor who's a K-9 sherriff and had a blood hound. I asked him if I shot a deer and lost it if we could use his dog, he just laughed and said....this dog don't chase deer.
unfortunatly it got bit by a rattler and died, he has a Belgian Malinois now... I asaked him if that one would find a deer for me, he laughed, nope this one doesn't chase deer either.
I'll tell you what.... that is one dog I would not want to tangle with Ha ha.

Never heard of that breed...here's a pic...very cool looking dogs....some fawn colored, some dark brown, some black...all with the Shepard look and fluid motion.

belgian-malinois-puppy-picture-3cd71ae4-6c2b-414c-92ac-59c8ab80c18a.jpg

That one is often refered to as the Belgian shepard

The Belgian Shepherd is a breed of medium-to-large-sized herding dog. It originated in Belgium and is similar to other sheep herding dogs from that region, including the Dutch Shepherd, the German Shepherd, the Briard, and others. Four types have been identified by various registries as separate breeds or varieties: Groenendael, Laekenois, Tervuren, and Malinois.

Yea, that looks like his dog 'ranger', it's got the black face. I've been around it a few times while he had it running loose but never attempted to touch it Ha ha, the thing is wound up like a clock spring and seems like it's always ready to pounce.
I forget what his dept. paid for it but it was in the tens of thousands of dollars fully trained and ready to rip the face off bad guys. that dogs pretty intimidating, the wife won't even get out of the truck even if he's got him in the kennel run in his yard.

Yea, that looks like his dog 'ranger', it's got the black face. I've been around it a few times while he had it running loose but never attempted to touch it Ha ha, the thing is wound up like a clock spring and seems like it's always ready to pounce.
I forget what his dept. paid for it but it was in the tens of thousands of dollars fully trained and ready to rip the face off bad guys. that dogs pretty intimidating, the wife won't even get out of the truck even if he's got him in the kennel run in his yard.
wait, are you the guy that makes "Miller Knives" videos on Youtube?

Jon, I'm not 'that miller' and I tried contacting him several times and he just blows me off. I tried to explain to him that I've been making knives for 29 years with a website nearly as long using my name Steve Miller and Miller knives....asking him if he thinks it's right to just jump in on facebook using the same name.

Of course, he has that right, he has the same name. but if he googled Miller knives he would have seen me and he knows I have been around for a long time...way before he came on the scene. so in a professional way I think he's an a--wipe.
I'm also disappointed from all the wacko's that follow or find him on facebook and youtube thinking I'm him and asking me to make them the junk that he makes, ring knives...coin knives and other related crap.

Sorry for the rant, but I obviously do not care for him or what he makes, and having the same name....it does reflect on me to some extent. I feel that in professional respect he would have chosen another name for his knife work knowing someone else has been using the same name for probably as long as he's been alive.

I have seen a lot of his videos shared on different sites and on bookface. One of the few guys still hellbent on making RR Spike knives

I lost my Brittany “Ruthie” last year at eight years old for some unknown reason she just died. She was the best squirrel dog a man could ask for. She would chase them three steps up a tree before she realized she was not a cat. Here is my new Pal, Fin. So far he is a great pet. His woodsman skills will be tested later this year. He has already passed gun training (I got a new .357) and water training (he loves to swim) so he has potential. To the OP I love mastiffs but my house is not big enough for one.

Attachments

• E907BD77-BC29-4F12-BA93-2A303962B298.jpeg
    E907BD77-BC29-4F12-BA93-2A303962B298.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 1E7893FF-6CF8-4117-9424-F391C280A51C.jpeg
    1E7893FF-6CF8-4117-9424-F391C280A51C.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 4
  • 9BE8652D-E61A-45D3-BBFF-630978C94182.jpeg
    9BE8652D-E61A-45D3-BBFF-630978C94182.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 4
Now I know part of the reason I love this forum...... "Dog People"! I love all the pics. I'm just a plain sucker for pups! :)

Back