New Project

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Well, I keep getting just about done with grinding a blade and then at the last minute, I screw them up trying to get it just right. Long story short, I threw my hands in the air and said to heck with it and started a new one. Here it is, tell me what ya think.

HPIM1319.jpg

HPIM1324.jpg

I still need to clean up the plunges, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just need to figure out what kind of guard and handle I want to put on it and then figure out how to make them.

I think its awesome so far. I have the same problem but I usually screw it up when trying to clean up the plunge. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Thats a great start Murph ! I'll be looking forward to seeing the end product.

At least you know where to go for guard and handle questions, LOL.

-Josh

I think I have taken this one as far as I care to take it on the grinder. I'm going to try to clean up the plunges by hand from here. I really wish I had bought one of those high speed file guides with the carbide plates.

As for the handle and guard, I bought a new book on Handles and Guards at the Fall H.I. I need to get off of my butt and read it pretty soon so that I have a better understanding for what I am doing. I also bought a handle jig thingy from J.R. Cook at the H.I. as well. I guess I'll get to put it to use on this one (hopefully).

Thank you for the kind words guys. I'm gonna try real hard to keep from messing this one up. The last blade I was working on I got ground to 600 grit and was dang proud of it except for a small divet up close to the spine. When I tried to get it out, I over ground the blade.

I think I'm going to do the rest of this one by hand. I do request some advice. When I do the clip, should I begin it now or wait til after HT? I've seen it done both ways. Also, should I leave the spine rounded or should I square it up? Opinions welcomed.

Murph,

There is NOTHING to be ashamed of here. I can only respect you for your grinding here on this soon to be fine blade.

You dont even want to see what I have hidden in the backyardworking 1Short Bus Rudy told me to buy a bigger shovel:D

Keep it up Murph. I like what I am seeing here buddy.

Chris

Back