New grinder

Squawsach

Here's a pic of my new grinder. Some assembly required.

grinder002.jpg

The plan is to turn this bar stock and wheels in a KMG style grinder. Wish me luck.

I worked on the grinder for 12 hours today. It is roughed out and I was able to assemble it and put some power to it. I expected that I would need to tune this or that, make some change here or there, or tweak any mumber of things when I put a belt on it and let the motor spin it. Nope, it ran just the way it was supposed to. It's smooth, quiet, and tracks very well. I tried to bog the motor. It won't bog. I have a 1hp on the unit. I bought it new and it's huge. Look at the pics. That 1hp motor weighs 8000 lbs. Well, it's big, heavy, and very strong for a 1hp. I think they mislabeled it.

grinderrough001.jpg

grinderrough003.jpg

I still need to make a platten and tool rest for it. Now that I know that the design works. I need to disassemble it and do all the finsh work to it. It's aluminum so there won't be much finish work. Just some rounding of corners and smoothing up some rough spots. I'm very happy with my first grinder build so far but the thought of tapping another hole doesn't thrill me but I only have 12 more to go.

Is that your own design? The tension arm is different than any KMG clone I've ever seen before.

Nice job all around!

Is that your own design? The tension arm is different than any KMG clone I've ever seen before.

Nice job all around!

I looked at a lot of the grinders posted on the web and I liked the long arm with extention spring idea.

I've used the grinder a little bit and it's light years ahead of the 2x42 Craftsman I was using. The biggest difference is the belts I'm able to get for this grinder compared to the belts I had to settle for with the Craftsman.

The longer, adjustable tension arm seemed like a good idea when I was building the grinder and it has worked out really well. I would recommend the long arm and extention spring if you are looking to build a KMG style grinder.

I've used the grinder a little bit and it's light years ahead of the 2x42 Craftsman I was using. The biggest difference is the belts I'm able to get for this grinder compared to the belts I had to settle for with the Craftsman.

The longer, adjustable tension arm seemed like a good idea when I was building the grinder and it has worked out really well. I would recommend the long arm and extention spring if you are looking to build a KMG style grinder.

Man you did that quick!! Good Job too!! What happened, no pic's while building? You could've made an awesome WIP. Did you go off your own plans or is this something you came up with yourself? Nicely Done!!!2thumbs

Jeff

Man you did that quick!! Good Job too!! What happened, no pic's while building? You could've made an awesome WIP. Did you go off your own plans or is this something you came up with yourself? Nicely Done!!!2thumbs

Jeff

I was kinda single minded when I was making the grinder and never stopped to take pics. The grinder was based off of some plan I found when surfing around the internet. The plans for the KMG clone gave me some good ideas but I didn't follow the plans. I just kinda winged it.

Back