New Grinder build. help?

sgmtino

I am planning on building a new grinder after the first of the year. I am using a VFD and a 2hp motor and a 6" drive wheel. I am looking for some parts and I thought someone here might point me in the direction of a 2x3 rubber 70 durometer wheel with bearing to use on the bottom of my platen . I am going to use a 2x2 on the top and wanted the versatility to have different sized radius for grinding curves. The best price I can find on the 2x3 is $75.00 . If anyone has any suggestions on this or on a small wheel attachment that works good , I do want rubber wheels for those as well let me know . I have been searching the internet making a parts list and I'm looking at around $780 right now that is without a tool rest (which I havent even looked in to yet lol). Any help is appreciated

I've bought cheap wheels on ebay and generally have had good luck. One thing I would like to suggest though, I don't think you will be all that happy with the 3" wheel. The difference in the 2" and 3" will be very minor. If you want two choices on grind radius, I would suggest going up to 6" or 8" for the bottom wheel. I've got a 10" wheel at he bottom of mine and the combination of a 2" up top and the 10" below works out pretty great.

I've bought cheap wheels on ebay and generally have had good luck. One thing I would like to suggest though, I don't think you will be all that happy with the 3" wheel. The difference in the 2" and 3" will be very minor. If you want two choices on grind radius, I would suggest going up to 6" or 8" for the bottom wheel. I've got a 10" wheel at he bottom of mine and the combination of a 2" up top and the 10" below works out pretty great.
thanks for the input

Consider poly wheels vs rubber. They will last just as long and are cheaper. If I handed you a rubber and poly wheel, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Look for 70 duro, which is what most rubber wheel hardness is. I can chose rubber or poly for my own use and I grab the poly every time.

Consider poly wheels vs rubber. They will last just as long and are cheaper. If I handed you a rubber and poly wheel, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Look for 70 duro, which is what most rubber wheel hardness is. I can chose rubber or poly for my own use and I grab the poly every time.
I was just a little leary about how they hold up over time thanks for chiming in

There have been several of us ordered wheels from China - all in all, good results with the parts. I did have to balance a 12" wheel, but that's a simple job.

So I was looking at making a platen like Ed Caffrey has on his website, and the 1.5" contact wheel he has spec'ed out with a bearing with a .375" ID . When I contacted Sunray they said they can make it with either a .375" bearing ID or a .500" bearing ID. Is there some advantage to the .375" on such a small contact wheel or would the .500" be fin? Any input or opinions here?

It depends on the design of the small wheel system you've got. If the 1.5" contact wheel is to be mounted to the platen the same way the normal platen wheels are, then I'd go with .500" - Perhaps a link to the platen and 1.5" contact wheel you're looking at would help. If Ed spec'd .375" I'm sure he had a good reason.

It depends on the design of the small wheel system you've got. If the 1.5" contact wheel is to be mounted to the platen the same way the normal platen wheels are, then I'd go with .500" - Perhaps a link to the platen and 1.5" contact wheel you're looking at would help. If Ed spec'd .375" I'm sure he had a good reason.
Yea Ed got back with me. He said you get more poly with the smaller bearing

Ok so today I ordered a 4" tracking wheel and a 6" drive wheel, I ordered my VFD and motor which by the way are on sale and were $50 cheaper than they were last week. I also ordered my Sunray 1.5x2 and 3x2 wheels for my platen. I'm going to get my metal to build my grinder with soon. Cant wait to start fabricating this thing the last grinder I made was back in 2000. I attached pictures of it below.

Attachments

• NCM_0173.JPG
    NCM_0173.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • NCM_0172.JPG
    NCM_0172.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
That looks like a good combo - $200 is about right price for the 1800 rpm 2 hp motor and $77 for the NEMA 1 enclosure VFD is about right. Looks good.

Well I got my vfd, motor , my drive wheel & tracking wheel in on Monday I also went to the metal shop and bought my metal to build the grinder with.

I bought the motor and drive as a package and the motor was advertised at 1800 rpm when I received it it was 1725 rpm should I say anything to the vendor?

The motor you got is just fine. It's a 4 pole motor and the RPM is set by the freq of your power source. You'll see them spec'd at 1725, 1750, and 1800 rpm, but all are the same motor.

Back