New Design ?

Ricky Finch

Hi

Here is a new design I made and was wanting opinions on it, good or bad.

DSCF2116_edited-1.jpg

Rick

Specs. Overall length 7-3/16", blade length3-1/8", Steel CPM154, G-10 handle, 0.50" titanium liners, Blade 600 grit hand rub finish, the rest bead blasted.

Last edited:
Here are some more, still learning to add pictures

FF-2a.jpg

FF-2b.jpg

FF-2c.jpg

FF-2e.jpg

I change the clip position, but not happy with it, going to make my own.

Rick

Hey Rick,

I'd carry it!

I was going to ask ya if you made the clip or used a pre-made. You beat me to it. ;~)

I like that clip, but I was thinking that something a little more compact and smooth looking would fit that knife better for my taste.

But I'd love to carry a knife like that. No funky sharp angles on the handle to hang stuff when it's hanging from the clip in your pocket.

Just a well made organic shape that's simple and functional. Cool.

I like that knife a lot! Clean, smooth lines!

I hope you wont take this the wrong way but minor things (positive criticism) I cannot tell from the pictures. Does the handle round of to the thumb studs for easier accessibility and when disengaging the liner is there a small gap for the thumb to easier access the liner? (these are things some people can be real jerks over)

I am only playing devils advocate here for things you might consider for your next knife but I will take that knife in a heart beat!

I too like this design !

Also not real keen on the clip in the pic but you've already mentioned that.

I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like with tubing in the lanyard hole.

Looks very user friendly for both the hand and pocket.

-Josh

Hellow, Ricky. Your folder looks very well made. I however feel the blade is too wide for every day use. To me it's like a little skinner. Pictures can lie. Is the blade long enough to fill the handle? FRank

Thanks Guys this is what I'm looking for.

JDB- I have one I'm playing with that curves a little to the left and will mount closer to the thong hole.

Marthinus- The handle rounds a little, the thumb stud sits about 1/8" above the handle were you have no problem getting it open. When disengaging the lock, On the liner I have rounded the inside of it some and sand down the curve area a few thousands. There is no problem getting to the lock.

Josh- What kind of tubing would fit 3/16" hole?

Frank- Yes the blade fills the handle. The width of the blade at it's highest point is 1-3/16".

On my next one I'm going to put thumb segerations on the top of the blade. I desgin this to be a all purpose type knife for everday carry.

On my first one made (blue one on web) I saw the lock fail and wanted to have less area when disengaging the lock.

We were setting up a funeral home tent at a church, when a new hole needed to be cut to insert a pole. The owner using my knife had put a lot of pressure gripping the knife to punch a hole thru pieces of the tent, when the blade came down and cut his finger. The knife is a left handed knife and he was using it in his right hand. I feel that using it in the wrong hand was also a problem.

Rick

Thanks Guys this is what I'm looking for.

Marthinus- The handle rounds a little, the thumb stud sits about 1/8" above the handle were you have no problem getting it open. When disengaging the lock, On the liner I have rounded the inside of it some and sand down the curve area a few thousands. There is no problem getting to the lock.

That is great to hear and that gets 2thumbs from me!

On my first one made (blue one on web) I saw the lock fail and wanted to have less area when disengaging the lock.

We were setting up a funeral home tent at a church, when a new hole needed to be cut to insert a pole. The owner using my knife had put a lot of pressure gripping the knife to punch a hole thru pieces of the tent, when the blade came down and cut his finger. The knife is a left handed knife and he was using it in his right hand. I feel that using it in the wrong hand was also a problem.

Rick

I feel you then did a good job of 'hiding' the lock without giving up access to disengage it sonce this accured. I know many people put a cutout in the handle for accessing the lock but I do not like it because gripping it in the other hand might result in disengagement. By giving room on the inside of the handle for your thumb to disengage the matter is somewhat resolved. Just my two cents and once again a job well done!

I think that is a well thought out knife. It seems to meet alot of needs I have in a knife and I would be pround to give her a good home. Way to go my friend!

I'm a little lost. How is that a left handed knife? The liner lock is on the standard side as is the pocket clip. huh1

I like that design. It exemplifies what I typically look for in a knife. Function above form but with enough looks to keep it interesting.

The blade shape is a workhorse for sure, capable of just about any day-to-day task you might need it for. Handles look comfortable. It's also a very good size for edc.

Charlie

Rock

The left hand knife i was talking about is the blue one on my web. It was my first liner lock. It was also my first blade I heat treated. This one is a change off that pattern.

Rick

Back