Never thought it would make much difference...

Chris Railey

I recently have become frustrated with my grinds (I grind freehand) not staying even toward the end of my process. I have tried everything I could think of but still I would almost get it perfect then bam it goes crooked. Then I remembered an old post on here from someone talking about glass platens. I took a chance and ordered one form Boss Dawg. Holy crap what a difference. I have tried the graphite stick on thingies (do not bother) and ordered a few new steel platens none of them came even come close to the glass. I did fabricate a small lip for the glass to rest on but other than that its just Gray JB weld. My grinds are waaaaaay easier to keep straight now and there is a lot less friction. I also remember someone talking about glass causing static shocks but I have not had that problem at all. That could be due to weather, its hot as an elephant's crotch here now and static is normally worse in the colder weather so we will see about January when it gets cold again if I get shocked. I cannot stress this enough if you are not happy with your grinds try the glass platen I never thought it would make such a difference. Boss sells them and he has very good instructions on how to do everything involved safely. Just thought I would share...Chris

I went to glass about six months after I started and it made the same world of difference that you are seeing. Not to mention I went to glass because I was already changing a worn out platen and had read that the glass lasted way longer. That’s the understatement of the century. Glass platens last years while the steel platen doesn’t last a farting spell before it’s grooved and uneven.

The static thing is very real. But you can train yourself not to react when it happens. If you really want to have fun, throw a scotchbrite belt on there in the wintertime LOL. You’ll think Frankenstein is about to come to life! IT’S ALIIIIIVVVVEEEEE!!!!

teel platen doesn’t last a farting spell before it’s grooved and uneven.
I think that was my trouble all along. I have admitted before that I am extremely ADD and at times can lose focus while grinding. I assumed my wandering mind was causing me to lose my grind. After my change to glass no worries. Now I just need to send @Daniel Macina my uneven steel plates for a good flatening...

Yep. I chased my grinds all iver the place, too. A lot of that was my inexperience but I firmly believe that had I started on glass I’d have learned a lot better, a lot faster.

Chris,
I also noticed a big difference when I changed to a better backer for my flats. However, the biggest improvement I saw was when I tremendously decreased the amount of pressure I was using. <- that was the biggest game changer hands down. EVERYTHING got cleaner, crisper, and straighter. The static shock deal is a pain, but I read somewhere (no clue where) that you can ground the machine and it will stop altogether. Has anyone tried this?

grounding / bonding can help but static is a tricky beast. The static forms on the belt itself and the charge differential can be on the surface rather than the backing where it would discharge through the wheels. It will build until it discharges on its own or through your hand to the machine.

The glass does make it worse because I believe the glass insulator creates a capacitor at the platen and the charge stays localized to the platen area where it’s being generated as a field.

In industry we often get plagued by static and the mitigation is often more art than science. The common belief is that you need dry air, but you’d be amazed at how much static we’d get on films and stretch wraps in 90% humidity. The hair on your arm will stand straight up if you get near the films but only on one side of the film! We even added deionizer bars which only kinda sorta helped. That film would cling to you (and the machine, and the cutter blades…) like Spiderman’s webs LOL.

Last edited:
If you use a wrist strap like a computer tech to ground yourself to the frame of the grinder you won't get shocked. It's the insulation of the glass makes the charge differential generate between grinder and grindee, so to speak. Annoyingly forgotten, of course, when you're walking away and it grabs your arm like a Buster Keaton skit.

I keep a sprayer bottle of H2O next to the grinder when it's sparky in the winter. Couple of spritzes helps. Needs periodic refreshing.

I bought a mister to test around the shop. Hopefully that'll kill the shocks, too.

Yup my grind is starting to go wonky. Looked at the glass starting to get tracks in it! Time to change it!! LOL!!

I recently have become frustrated with my grinds (I grind freehand) not staying even toward the end of my process. I have tried everything I could think of but still I would almost get it perfect then bam it goes crooked. Then I remembered an old post on here from someone talking about glass platens. I took a chance and ordered one form Boss Dawg. Holy crap what a difference. I have tried the graphite stick on thingies (do not bother) and ordered a few new steel platens none of them came even come close to the glass. I did fabricate a small lip for the glass to rest on but other than that its just Gray JB weld. My grinds are waaaaaay easier to keep straight now and there is a lot less friction. I also remember someone talking about glass causing static shocks but I have not had that problem at all. That could be due to weather, its hot as an elephant's crotch here now and static is normally worse in the colder weather so we will see about January when it gets cold again if I get shocked. I cannot stress this enough if you are not happy with your grinds try the glass platen I never thought it would make such a difference. Boss sells them and he has very good instructions on how to do everything involved safely. Just thought I would share...Chris
Chris, I live in Georgia too and will second that it's as hot as an elephant's crotch right now... and it's only the beginning of it..

Static was a thing on my grizzly ginder with the glass platen, but I have a brodbeck now and haven't put a glass platen on it yet. It usually got me as I was grinding side to side to even stuff out and my pinky got near the rest plate. It'll scare the hell out of you. lol

There's this, and it's cheap!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-140336_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210526-140336_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 7
Now I did spray the thing with some static guard when I first put it on there but that was like four knives ago. Maybe that is the difference?

Chris, I live in Georgia too and will second that it's as hot as an elephant's crotch right now... and it's only the beginning of it..

Static was a thing on my grizzly ginder with the glass platen, but I have a brodbeck now and haven't put a glass platen on it yet. It usually got me as I was grinding side to side to even stuff out and my pinky got near the rest plate. It'll scare the hell out of you. lol
Cool, what part of the state?

You can use water and detergent in a spray bottle.
it's been the industry standard for working on blowing natural gas mains made of poly pipe for years for suppressing static.
in use on gas mains, the lines covered with rags or burlap at contact with the ground and soapy water poured on it, effectively grounding the pipe.
I've been using it for 25 years on gas lines, it works and it's cheap.

Back