Never thought it would make much difference...

I've always used Dawn, at work we use some concentrated stuff mixed with water, the only difference I believe is that the work stuff claims to be non corrosive on steel fittings.
speaking of Dawn, that's all I've used in my shop for years for hand cleaning. I'm past all the hype of these great so called hand cleaners they sell, what Dawn doesn't get off my hands acetone and a rag does.

Based on the raving reviews for a glass platen, I'm tempted to add it to my grinder.
But - When my platen gets "groovy" I've been simply removing it and milling off .005-.010" - and, bingo, I'm flat again.
So, the question I have for you glass guys - will I see much improvement by using glass vs keeping the metal surface flat?

Based on the raving reviews for a glass platen, I'm tempted to add it to my grinder.
But - When my platen gets "groovy" I've been simply removing it and milling off .005-.010" - and, bingo, I'm flat again.
So, the question I have for you glass guys - will I see much improvement by using glass vs keeping the metal surface flat?
Yes.

Every grinder we have in the shop has a glass platen.

Using Fireplace Glass - borosilicate- Pyroceram- ceramic- …..
instead of a metal faced platen will reduce friction and heat giving you longer touch time before dunking in water. That alone is worth it as it gives you more time to stay in a pass if you hand grind. The glass is harder than even hardened steel platens. It will wear and have to be replaced as does hardened steel.

we have a couple cans of laundry spray on static reducer at the grinding stations. Static sparks are usually only a problem when it’s very low humidity.

Thanks Tracy...that shock can interrupt a nice pass and makes it a little tougher trying to figure out my grinder.

While the humidity is low here in the Salt Lake City area, (usually in the teens or lower) I rarely have a problem with static. However I do have a rubber horse stall mat under my grinder. Maybe that makes the difference? Not sure.

I ground on a steel platen for years without issue, but switched to glass on Tracy's recommendation. About a month later I switched back to steel. For the way I grind, it was not a good experiment. This is my answer to static shock. I have one on each grinder.

Do you use a hardened steel platen?

Today I finally did it and someone please kick me for taking so long. Wow! I was already getting good grinds with my steel platen. But things definitely got better.

Flats are not only flatter but it seems much easier to read the grind. For example, when I want to thin out the edge it seems to happen faster and I feel like I can 'read' the rate at which material is being removed better than I could before. I find it also easier to read the top of the bevel on the side that you are grinding. For example, it seems easier to raise the bevel on the other side and bring it right to where my bevel outline lines are. Flats come about with less effort. The biggest and most noticeable change was how much faster I can go from zero to a rough pre-heat-treat grind that is accurate, flat and that I am very happy with. That combo took a lot longer for me personally before, with the glass platen it seems to come about faster and with much less effort.

I feel extremely positive about this addition and would strongly encourage other makers who do not yet have one to look into it. Don't be like me and wait as long as I did.

Back