neat trick/ disk sander

man denny think that would work cut the head off a 10 mm bolt and use it like that? ill give it a go this weekend.

If a 25/64 is snug then the shaft size needed is 3/8 just get a piece and tighten the set screw up tight and you will be done.

If a 25/64 is snug then the shaft size needed is 3/8 just get a piece and tighten the set screw up tight and you will be done.

exactly what I was thinking.

1/64 is a very small difference. I would expect 25/64 to fit (especially if it's a drill bit) something that's made for a 3/8" (24/64) shaft.

Instead of trying to make that work, why not use a small sanding disc arbor like this?

2011-10-09_10-14-53_484.jpg

You need an arbor for your setup instead of that drill. If I were closer I could turn one for you. No big deal really. The arbor above goes to my headlight polishing kit. What you need is one of the smaller ones that have the rubber base that accept the little 2" sanding discs.

On another note, I picked up that same vise at harbor freight. I took mine completely apart and surface ground the base and all the ways and mating surfaces. I also reground the jaws and the step in them. Took me about 5 hours to do, but I was just passing time anyway :)

sweet i just started to make something similar js everyones got some great ideals anyone try it yet?

I'd say it's dangerous for the reasons mentioned thus far; drill bit is brittle and can snap with sanding, the distance from the chuck to the disk is to long, and could make the bit more prone to snapping. Also the bit is fluted and the disk could slip to the pont that it not longer is tight on the bit and could sail off. A piece of rod would be a better choice, and again a bit shorter if possible to prevent being easily warped.

Overall, it's a great idea for the small pieces for sure. I may copy it as well.

well just got a 2 inch 3/8 rod to put in the disk when i get it trued up, running i will take a pic.

We've definitely got a serial drill press caper on our hands here. That and the vise, too...I'd say that at least 3 of us have identical equipment, and mine *does* has a chunking whap-whap to is as the sloppy belt runs around! Good looking improvised setup there!

you better watch out for lagrange or send burls lol,well no one should have problems making this the same way,i think we all shop knifemart ha ha

I just looked and my press and vice are still on the bench *wipes sweat off forehead *
Did you try the smaller disk or did you just improve the setup you started with?
Can you tell me exactly what you are using this for? I'm dense sometimes so go easy on me.

Eric

Lagrange, i use this to hold small pieces that i don't want to or cant hold. It would work well for bolsters,or guards i stayed with the 5 inch disk and i'm going to switch from the drill bit to a steel rod 3/8, and its set on the slowest speed. I trued it up with a precision milled block but sure you could do it with a square.

I just got a magnetic chuck in the mail today, I dont have a surface grinder but im doing something similar to what your doing with my mill and magnetic chuck, Ill post pics when I get everything working.

I dont have the pics yet but what I will say is if you can get a magnetic chuck cheap do it if you have a mill it is great what I am using right now is a 3" disc from a 90 deg die grinder with the removeable sand disc and even have scotch bright disc, but it flatens and cleans the knife you just have those circle jewled looking marks on it but they hand sand away fast. I practicly stole my chuck of of ebay its a Walker 6x10 magnetic chuck I love it.
Anthony

Back