neat trick/ disk sander

franklin

heres something diffrent for you guys, this is how ive been doing small parts that i want flat but to small to hold. and i can change the speed,just put right size bit in disk and drill press and who la done easy and the drill press vice holds the part.

Last edited:
Hey!! ....thats my drill press and vice.
I know its mine. To prove it I will close my eyes so I cant see the picture.....and I will tell you the color of the power cord.

Black.

Does it still make that "ca-chunk ca-chunk" noise when it runs?

I dont recognize the sanding disk.

Send me some burl wood and I wont press charges.

Eric

sorry no ca chunk noise lol cant be yours, say tom for being dangerous i don't now why you think that disk has a set screw in it and i trued it up on a precision milled block there's no wobble at all and i don't have to hold those small pieces that like to take off or burn my fingers , if you see something i don't by all means give it up so i don't get a surprise.

Looks like a pretty decent improvised set up all-in-all. The thing that may be dangerous is using the drill bit instead of a solid rod. Drill bits can be fairly brittle and with the set screw clamping on it you could set up a stress point for it to snap at. If you changed out the drill bit for a solid round bar of the right size, I think you would have something there. Certainly beats burnt finger tips.

thanks fergy that sounds like a plan did not think of that. think a hardware store would carry a rod the same size?

In my experience, the big box stores usually have round stock up to 1/2" or so. I'd go with that over a drill bit. I might even shorten things up just a little, but that's me.

bit is 25/64 i was going to look for the round stock this weekend,arc i was thinking the same thing. birch why do you think its dangerous? thats my whole thing is to get my fingers out of the way and hold the small things in the vice so they dont go flying out my hand ask me how i now this lol any saggestions welcome

Looks like a good idea, provided some issues are addressed.
Essentially, you have taken the same concept used in the Wagner Saf-T-Planer (and other similar tools) and applied it to a sanding disk. So the idea is not without merit.

I must admit that the quickest way for me to service small items on any power equipment is to employ the use of a hand vise.
Since the entire operation depends on hand guidance, it may not have the same precision as locking the piece in a stationary vise and guiding the tool to it. (But, then again, sometimes our machinery is not always as precise as we like to think.:what!:)
One would be amazed what can be accomplished by the use of a simple hand vise.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=3030

With that said, some of the ideas presented by others for improvement (especially concerning safety) certainly have merit.
I certainly wouldn't spin that large disk too fast with a drill press- eventually the bearings in your press will give up the ghost.

rob its a 5 inch disk set at the slowest speed if you guys saw how slow it really is you might just luagh at me even if the thing came off i dont think it could hit me hard enough to leave a mark

I'm sure that the disk has a 5/8 bore, because that is a standard motor shaft size. So go with 5/8 round stock, not 1/2. With 1/2 inch stock you would be pushing the disk off center. It would also be a good idea to cut a key way to match the key way on the disk.

I don't think that it will be dangerous unless you try to take to big a bite. Of course the other way is to mount the disk on a motor and have a disk grinder and mount the small part in the vise and hand hold the vise.

I wouldn't go 1/2" either if it's a 5/8" bore. I'm just saying that I've had a hard time finding anything bigger than 1/2" round stock in my local stores.

You might cut the threads and head off of a 5/8" hex bolt if you find one. ;)

Franklin, Do you have a Metal Supermarket in your area? They carry all kinds of steel shapes in all the common sizes and will even cut it for you. I don't know for sure but 1' might be the minimum. If not check with a local fab shop. They may have a drop they would sell you. You could also check with a local machine shop. Good luck in your search.

Since it's only a 5" disk, it could very well use a shaft smaller than 5/8".
I have one of the smaller disks that use a 1/2", and yet another that uses 3/8".
You're gonna have to measure and find out what you need.

Regarding the shaft, try to keep it short. The shorter it is, the less likely you have a circumstance of slight bend in the shaft, which contributes to wobble.
Also, if you can, try to obtain an actual shaft rather than a simple piece of "round stock". It costs only slightly more, but the benefits are great. The material preferred for shafts is turned and precision ground to tight tolerances, then polished. What this equates to is a tight fit in the hub (which is what you want). Also, this type of material has always come to me straight, even in the 36" lengths.

Here is a link if you need sourcing:http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8240-turned-grnd-polished.aspx
This particular supplier will do mail order, and they have no minimum. I do not include the link to direct you there as a customer, but merely to specify the type of material best suited for this application.

Good Luck,
Rob

Last edited:
Good call on the shaft material Rob. That would definitely be better than just a plain round bar.

its a 25/64 bit and snug as can be thats were its weird,i would prob need it made im thinking, im really looking for ways to make this better on the fact that it works really well for what im asking it to do, thanks every one for the saggestions all are good if anyone else trys this post it up!!!

Back