My second knife ever

M

Mook

O-1 tool steel, shaped by hand with an inexpensive angle grinder and belt sander, heat treated in a Weber grill and tempered in the kitchen oven.

The handle is from a cherry tree that blew down in my yard 12 years ago. I finished it with one coat of tung oil to deepen the color, and three *very* light coats of oil-based polyurethane.

The sheath is from leather that I bought from the "belt lady" at the flea market. For $20, I got a huge roll of leather cutoffs, more than I think I'll use up in a year. An inexpensive leather punch from the craft store, some waxed thread and some time getting the fit right, and there you go.

The firesteel is one of Ron Fontaine's. The spine of the blade will scrape off a nice shower of sparks. There's a little sooty residue left on the blade afterward, but that wipes off with a t-shirt.

If there are those of you out there, looking at knives like this thinking it takes a mechanical engineering degree and/or thousands of dollars in equipment to make a knife, I can tell you it doesn't. Now, if I were doing this professionally and speed of production were important, I'd definitely want to upgrade some of my equipment. But for less than $100, I have this, the final product. (Now, time spent, that's another issue :))

And I've already ordered more steel so I can make more of these. A friend of mine likes this blade so much he gave me some curly maple for use on the next knife!

Attachments

• finished product 1 j.JPG
    finished product 1 j.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 148
  • finished product 2 j.JPG
    finished product 2 j.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 68
  • finished product 3 j.JPG
    finished product 3 j.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
excellent... another knife maker earns his stripes...

If there are those of you out there, looking at knives like this thinking it takes a mechanical engineering degree and/or thousands of dollars in equipment to make a knife, I can tell you it doesn't.

I wanted to clarify this statement.

I in no way meant to disparage the skill and artisanship displayed by other knifemakers on this forum. I made a sturdy, good-looking knife (*rubs fingernails on shirt*), but these other guys make works of ART. My intent was to prove to myself and others that it's possible for the average Joe to make...well, a sturdy, good-looking knife.

No offense intended at all :)

I love project with a story. You kept a piece of of tree for 12 years waiting for this project and you did it by hand! Nice!

Hey Mook,
Nice job on the knife and sheath. You should be happy with your work. Thanks for the encouragement to those that are thinking about trying a knife for the first time.:)

Mook, You make me sick. Well, because that is one good looking knife for only your second :rolleyes:
One of the things that I most enjoy about this craft/hobby is making the tool I need to do what I want to do. No, you don't need thousands of dollars to make a knife. It may make it faster and a little easier, but not as challenging or proud. To know you not only made the knife, but the grinder that ground it as well. Well in my case. Keep it up!

Paul

Hey mook, I really like your knife. I made a woody clone very similar to yours using very simlpe means(down right primitive to be honest). The cherry looks great for the handle . I put walnut on mine with copper pins. Nice job on the sheath too!!

Great looking knife.2thumbs
I had to look to see if you were fron Europe. They are crazy about the scandis.
I love the stitching on the sheath.

See Mook I told Ya' this is a great site!! I've been sitting back and trying to get some other stuff with my horses done,and haven't really been on here lately. These guys will give ya' all the pointers you are looking for!!

Back