My own personal hunter...raised clip w/ claro walnut

Lol...well if it's a doe then don't worry about it I was hoping you got a good buck. I didn't have any luck seen some small bucks but going out again this week.

J.Doyle
Photo shop is your friend. And then you just exaggerate a little bit.
DeMo

That's funny. I've always said that to be a good hunter or fisherman you don't have to shoot big bucks or catch big fish.............you just have to know how to lie with a straight face. :D

man, that looks GOOD. I am making some budget hunters, and I hope mine have some (at least a little bit) of the understated grace that yours has.

I have 2 questions, if you don't mind.
1. what did you quench in?
2. what did you use to grind (or file) the clip?
nice one. very nice.

man, that looks GOOD. I am making some budget hunters, and I hope mine have some (at least a little bit) of the understated grace that yours has.

I have 2 questions, if you don't mind.
1. what did you quench in?
2. what did you use to grind (or file) the clip?
nice one. very nice.

Thank you Art and Kevin. I appreciate the comments.

Kevin, I did all the normalizing and thermal cycling in my salts after forging. Then I clayed the blade and did the final austenitizing in my forge and kept a careful eye on the temp. Quenched in parks 50.

As for the grinds, this was the first time I tried this type of clip. It was a little tricky as they're not straight (meaning slight curves) on two planes. I free hand ground them in using only about 1/3 of the edge of the belt against the platen. You can't use the whole width of the belt because of the curves. These came out really nice and even just with grinding but if necessary, I would have cleaned up the plunge line areas and flattened the bevels of the clip with files. Like I said though, they came out pretty even this time.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I confused you............I confuse myself half the time with the stuff I write. :D

Back