My First Knife Photo

MTBob

1084 blade, Ivory scales, red liner and pins.
After making several dozen knives I've been extremely critical of my work, largely because how my clumsy knife making skills compare to the workmanship found on this forum. This little chopper seemed to turn out reasonably well, though I still see lots of room for improvement. However, the lady who received it now uses it as her "go to" knife in the kitchen (or, she may just be overly kind with her comments).
So, I figured I'd better "Come Out Of The Closet" ;) and get this first photo thing behind me. What's aggravating about submitting photos is that the damn photos show up defects that my aging eyes failed to catch.... argh!
But, then, I ask myself if I should worry too much about these minor defects since after a few days use, the knife will likely suffer abuse that will overshadow my flaws.
Bob

1600010356115.png
1600010428595.png
1600010500024.png
1600011423337.png

That's a nice design, and very well executed!
And yes, a picture will show up boo-boos that your admiring eyes never saw.

Very nice, clean design. I'm guessing the ivory is micarta, otherwise you are going to have major problems .

Man - that is nice Bob! You are in that realm of 'guys who have incredible workmanship on this forum'

your fit and finish is very good, i have made more than a hundred, and i think it lags behind yours. however, for kitchen knives i would take the edge a bit thinner, than what it appears to be here. 0.01". This would be good for general, not too delicate use... before you get the edge bevel. edge bevel looks like 25-30ish dps, for 1084 you could easily drop that to 15 or 18dps, lower fro delicate work. if i misjudged the photos, i apologise

your fit and finish is very good, i have made more than a hundred, and i think it lags behind yours. however, for kitchen knives i would take the edge a bit thinner, than what it appears to be here. 0.01". This would be good for general, not too delicate use... before you get the edge bevel. edge bevel looks like 25-30ish dps, for 1084 you could easily drop that to 15 or 18dps, lower fro delicate work. if i misjudged the photos, i apologise
Very good advice, thanks! I'm reading a lot about edge geometry, and how apparently that is as important as heat treating. Frankly I'm not sure where I was on that edge bevel.
Do I understand correctly that for kitchen knives the edge before sharpening should be .015-.018"?
Are there rules of thumb that suggest pre-sharpening thickness depending on use?

Yes very cool. How did you achieve the chamfer on the edges? Just freehand? Or did you tilt a table or something?

Very good advice, thanks! I'm reading a lot about edge geometry, and how apparently that is as important as heat treating. Frankly I'm not sure where I was on that edge bevel.
Do I understand correctly that for kitchen knives the edge before sharpening should be .015-.018"?
Are there rules of thumb that suggest pre-sharpening thickness depending on use?
Lots of the kitchen knife guys (I'm not one of those) will grind to .005" or less before sharpening. .015"-.018" is about where I start for a hunting or bushcrafter.

I couldn't agree more with the comment about photos finding the things my eyes miss. We should always be our worst critic, unless you have a wife then just ask her! I guess I need to take my own advice and post some previous work. by the way that's a good looking knife.

Lots of the kitchen knife guys (I'm not one of those) will grind to .005" or less before sharpening. .015"-.018" is about where I start for a hunting or bushcrafter.
.005" seems like a challenge, but perhaps one day I'll give it a try. Thanks for clarifying, very helpful.

Back