MUSSO BRASS BACK BOWIE AND PART OF MY COLLECTION

pathfinder

Hi to all you knife nuts and knife makers. I want to thank Murphda2 for introducing me to this forum. I meet Murphda2 at Master Smith Jim Crowell shop in Mt. View Ar. and he put me on to this Forum. I have been collecting for 50 years, This is my first thread. I have been a knife collector since I was 16, in 1960 I purchased a Randall made knife a model 12 11" Bowie, and I still have it. I like Bowie knives and the History of Jim Bowie and his brothers. most of my collection is made up of hand forged knives, but I do like A.G. Russells Sting boot knives and I have some very rare ones. I have 3 of the working drawings of the Musso Bowie on a one to one scale, and if any one wants one just let me know and I will send you one at no cost to you.

Attachments

• RILEY-OLIVE-FITCH-BARNES RANDALL.jpg
    RILEY-OLIVE-FITCH-BARNES RANDALL.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 201
  • BOWIE DISPLAY-2-COOPERS-2-RILES.jpg
    BOWIE DISPLAY-2-COOPERS-2-RILES.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 204
  • ONE TO ONE SCALE.jpg
    ONE TO ONE SCALE.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 4 LE LIMITED EDITION STINGS.jpg
    4 LE LIMITED EDITION STINGS.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 172
  • SCAN0245.JPG
    SCAN0245.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 168
Very nice looking collection David. Now, where are the pics of all of those Crowell knives you have?

MUSSO BRASS BACK BOWIE AND PART OF MY COLLLECTION

Hi David, I am attaching photos of three decades plus of Master Smith Jim Crowell's work. I Purchased my first Crowell in 1980 it is a stock removeal drop point, my seccond Crowell is a bowie with Elephant Ivory handle it was made in 1993. I traded his x-brother-in law Uncle Dave Smith out of hie 3rd Damascus it was made in 1982. Jim made the prototype for the Browning Master Smith Series the model 570 small drop point and the model 571 large drop point. With Jims help I was able to get the salesman sample for both models. they are the bottom knives in the photos, the model 570 is stamped 97 of 100 and the model 571 is stamped 18 of 75 these or the salesman smaple were purchased in 2007. and Crowell/ Barker competion knife was added in 2006, Jim is working on the Damascus Dancer bowie now, I will have Elephant Ivory scales in placee of the scales in the photo. for the rest of my Crowells see next post. On Jims knives with his his shouting star stamp stamp I am having 24k gold pot in the shoting star stamp an also on the right side of the blade the MS stamp will have the 24K gold.

Attachments

• MASTER SMITH JIM CROWELL WORKING..jpg
    MASTER SMITH JIM CROWELL WORKING..jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 59
  • CROWELL DROP POINT.jpg
    CROWELL DROP POINT.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 67
  • SCAN0291.JPG
    SCAN0291.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 3rd. DAMASCUS.jpg
    3rd. DAMASCUS.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 71
  • M.S. CROWELL BROWING MODEL 571 SS.jpg
    M.S. CROWELL BROWING MODEL 571 SS.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Musso Brass Back Bowie

The rest of my crowell collection

Attachments

• CRROWELL DAMASCUS DANSER.jpg
    CRROWELL DAMASCUS DANSER.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 57
  • M.S. CROWELL BROWING MODEL 571.jpg
    M.S. CROWELL BROWING MODEL 571.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 46
  • MODEL 570.jpg
    MODEL 570.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SCAN0297.jpg
    SCAN0297.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 44
David, if you ever go insane and decide to give these away, I hope you keep me
mind. As you know, I'm a huge fan of Jim's.

Welcome to the forum! You have great taste.

I have a production (Browning) model of the Crowell/Barker comp knife and it's an excellent heavy-duty camp knife/chopper etc. You could build a log cabin with that thing if you had to :)

Musso Brass Back Bowie

James, as a general rule I do not use my knives, but when I received my Crowell/Barker comptition knife I had to test it out on some one inch rope and some bottle water and 2x4 and it preformed well.

James, as a general rule I do not use my knives...

Then I'll refrain from showing you mine, lol. It's pretty beat up but still 100% functional, very well-designed for its purpose and has held up extremely well. User or collector, there's more than one way to enjoy a good knife :)

Hey Pathfinder , Welcome to you and that Beautiful MS Crowell collection ! I would love a copy of the Musso Bowie... because I LOVE BOWIES .. Maybe I can finally make one ... Bill

Here's another Arkansas maker JR Cook's rendition of the Musso Bowie:
A good friend owns this Bowie.

JRCook.jpg

Musso Brass Back Bowie

Bill T, I have always liked bowies my first one was a Randle made model #12 bowie I purchased in 1960 (paid $45) and I still have it. I will send you the drawing of the Musso Brass Back Bowie on a one to one scale. I will have one left so if you have some one who wants the last one have them get in touch with me.

Attachments

• MUSSO BRASS BACK BOWIE-1.jpg
    MUSSO BRASS BACK BOWIE-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_0350.JPG
    100_0350.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
Pathfinder , I received the scale drawing of the Musso Bowie today . What an incredible gift !! Thank You !!! I had no idea it was so large , almost 20" !!! I love to make 1/2 scale models of all the Bowies I make ; with a knife this large it would still be 10" long ! I guess I'm going to have to make a 1/4 scale one too !
Thank you again , Bill​

Hello Pathfinder and welcome to the forums!

Im a Big Fan of Jim's work. I had the privlage of doing 8 days of one on one class with him several years ago. This started a friendship that I treasure.
In my opinion, I dont think you will find a better man than Jim!

Do you live in the Mtn View area? I have a Niece living the that has a shop called Timeless Treasures, she is also working on a place in Fox called Meadow Creek.

God Bless
Mike

Musso Brass Back Bowie

Mike I live in Batesville, about 50 mles from Jim's shop. You are right Jim is a good friend, and ture gentleman. I ppurchased my first knife in 1980 a small stock removal drop point skiner with his name Crowell as his stamp, also I have his 3rd Damascus circa 1983, and a circa 1990 bowie with elephant Ivory handle, and for 2010 he is making me a large ladder pattern Damascus with elephant IVORY handle.

Pathfinder
I envy your collection. But I too have a Crowell one of (I think) as a demo on grinding, Jim ground out a small skinner from a piece of pine 2x4, then had me do one. I asked him to sign his when he was done. He jokingly made his shooting star mark with sharpie on it and handed it back to me. Its a treasure to me, and is priceless. Although I do hope to own one of his "forged" pieces in the future!

Thanks for showing your collection. I had never seen a Crowell with his name on it before.

God Bless
Mike

Back