Moral dilemma

M

Mook

I've got a dilemma. I ordered some steel for making knives, and I ordered 5 pieces, 18" long. I did it on line, and the charge on my debit card was right, and I waited for the shipment. Well, it came today, but they sent me 5 pieces of steel, 36" long -- they doubled my order. The packing slip even says 18" pieces, and the price billed is for 18" pieces...but I've got twice the metal.

The problem is that I don't have the funds right now to pay double. Do you think I ought to bring this to their attention, send it back, keep my mouth shut? I'd feel bad taking something I didn't pay for, but the opportunistic side of me says, hey, it's their mistake, not mine.

Now that I've thought about it, I'm going to call them tomorrow and just let them know the situation. If I were on their end of this kind of deal, I'd want to be treated fairly.

There! Problem solved! Thanks for the input :)

If you think you could use the steel, see if you can work out a payment plan for the extra. Definately call them...

The prices for the 36" stuff is probably not double since the more you buy, generally, the more you save.

In any case, call them up and explain their mistake. Chances are, they say, "oops, our bad. Go ahead and keep it, and thanks for being honest".

I'd definitely want to try and correct the mistake. Just think. There may be some maker somewhere that just got 5 18" bars instead of the 36" bars he ordered.

Another consideration that might work in your favor--their shipping costs may prohibit them wanting to correct the order.

Update

I emailed the guy in charge of accounts and he said not to worry about returning the steel or being charged for it: "consider it an early Christmas present."

So...if you don't have a steel supplier, I can tell you that Flatground.com is a business that has excellent customer service.

This same thing happened to me recently. I called them and told them what they did and the guy said to keep it, free. now, they are my main source for D-2 and A-2. amtek.com, if any one's interested.

I emailed the guy in charge of accounts and he said not to worry about returning the steel or being charged for it: "consider it an early Christmas present."

So...if you don't have a steel supplier, I can tell you that Flatground.com is a business that has excellent customer service.

I used to order from FlatGround.com a lot. they always did me right

As the song says, "There aint no right way to do the wrong thing"

You did the right thing, the feeling from knowing that will well exceed the price of the steel!

God Bless
Mike

What Mr. Eller said plus remember..."Honor is what you do, or how you behave when no one is looking". Then there is never a moral dilema to deal with.. Good job sir

“Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking.”

You Sir have Character.

Cheers to you.

Back