MikeL and KITH WIP

Slow work on the KITH. Blade is shaped. Dykemed up. Ready to scribe lines and grind.

I’m making two knives so at the end I’ll let folks vote on which should go in the KITH.

3E38D720-132F-4911-93E7-6F20A07DA32D.jpeg

I really like this design. I have been toying with a fixed blade pocket carry design for a while now but it does not have the style that one has. Will you do a leather pocket sheath or a kydex? I have a neat kydex design I can share but personally I like leather better.

I really like this design. I have been toying with a fixed blade pocket carry design for a while now but it does not have the style that one has. Will you do a leather pocket sheath or a kydex? I have a neat kydex design I can share but personally I like leather better.

My brother does my sheaths. It will be leather. I’m a bigger fan of leather, especially in this case, because it’s more pliable. We have gone back and forth on ideas. He drew up one design but we decided it would be too bulky for pocket carry. He is now moving in a different direction on design. For what iss worth, I actually plan on keeping mine clipped to the visor in my truck but the intent is for pocket carry.

As I crawl along in KITH progress....
I like sweeping plunge lines especially if I’m going to use a hand sanded satin finish. But, since this is damascus and will be etched, that’s not why I’m doing a sweeping line. I just like them and am trying to get better at them. After heat treat I’ll work the line closer to the spine and further to the right. The goal is to get the vertical line on the other side of the notch/choil after heat treat.

60B2D501-C5C5-4DD3-9879-183AA98441B5.jpeg

Thanks. And I should say, it’s a hollow grind. That’s about all I do. It’s not very deep as I use a 12 inch wheel.

Last edited:
Pre HT grind complete
2C426F33-CE95-4399-8D34-481FDCB773CE.jpeg

Had to sneak a peek at Damascus pattern

D8A3BEB0-1F9B-44B4-9E6C-3602DB879EAE.jpeg

Cleaned up etch and grease and coated with anti scale stuff

414C0D76-D36C-4A9E-9F01-FE9E122B586F.jpeg

Cook it and hold a few minutes at 1550

D9CCE4A3-E411-48FB-B064-CA20AE9C7E73.jpeg

A quick quench and then a squeezed cool down between some aluminum plates as recommended by Alabama Damascus to help prevent warps. Pretty fancy setup, I know :)

5E1C6D64-5CBD-48AF-AE9F-FEDC6A59B2B8.jpeg

Now the blades are tempering.

Back