Might see a familiar face on Season 2 of Historys Knife or Death.

Justin, you did yourself proud for sure. It was really impressive when you sliced that fish - the top hardly moved as your blade went thru. That was the same for some of the other cuts. You had it pegged on keeping a good angle to make cuts. I was surprised how many folks try to cut at right angles on the hanging targets.

GREAT JOB - hold your head high. We're looking forward to your comments you can share of behind the scenes

Ken H>

I want to make a comment lol. First off you did an awesome job. I mean that. Knife performed very well and so did you. To say that I was impressed would be a complete understatement. Now here comes my comment lol. I’m a good 60 lbs over weight and a dad of three... very close to your age. I do have type 1 diabetes which I’m pretty sure has aged me a bit quicker than most also. But ... we ALL have “the moment.” I think it’s kinda part of the way of life. Lol. There was a priceless moment caught by the fantastic film crew when you looked into the camera and grinned. They perfectly captured captured a moment in a man’s life when he realizes he ain’t 19 no mo. Lol. Am I right?

You did great Justin, and it could have gone either way, personally I thought you had it.
a lot of people don't realize how exhausted you can get when you open a can of whoop a--
a go full steam out of the gate. Congrats.

I want to make a comment lol. First off you did an awesome job. I mean that. Knife performed very well and so did you. To say that I was impressed would be a complete understatement. Now here comes my comment lol. I’m a good 60 lbs over weight and a dad of three... very close to your age. I do have type 1 diabetes which I’m pretty sure has aged me a bit quicker than most also. But ... we ALL have “the moment.” I think it’s kinda part of the way of life. Lol. There was a priceless moment caught by the fantastic film crew when you looked into the camera and grinned. They perfectly captured captured a moment in a man’s life when he realizes he ain’t 19 no mo. Lol. Am I right?

I re watched it today and know exactly what moment you are talking about!. You are so spot on with your comment. I was having fun. What you dont see is one of the crew members is off camera and in between each obstacle you have about 20 seconds while they are moving the high speed cameras over and Monty the field crew supervisor is asking me "Justin you ok, need anything" they would let us switch safety glasses out if they got fogged up or if a piece of our safety equipment needed adjusted. I would look over at him and once I said I'm good just out of shape! So he kept checking since I was winded and I would be like Nope I'm good just suckin wind!

You did great Justin, and it could have gone either way, personally I thought you had it.
a lot of people don't realize how exhausted you can get when you open a can of whoop a--
a go full steam out of the gate. Congrats.
I should have trained more but honestly I thought I might do more harm then good, pull a muscle or sprain an ankle so I kinda just said screw it how much can I really improve in a week and a half.
With as small and light as my blade was I was really having to swing alot more then the others to get threw the boxes and 2x4s.

Justin, you did yourself proud for sure. It was really impressive when you sliced that fish - the top hardly moved as your blade went thru. That was the same for some of the other cuts. You had it pegged on keeping a good angle to make cuts. I was surprised how many folks try to cut at right angles on the hanging targets.

GREAT JOB - hold your head high. We're looking forward to your comments you can share of behind the scenes

Ken H>
Thank you Ken!
I knew I probably had one of the sharpest blades so my goal was to complete Knife Fight with as few as penalties as possible and make it past life line.
All the competitors we get to walk the course once to go over the rules and see the obstacles and I told several of them I know we are all worried about the chicken and fish but I said dont take that 2" rope for granted it is no easy task...and that proved to be the one that got everyone but me and Zeke. I know it probably looks like I rushed through some of the cuts but I felt like and told myself over and over in my head to take my time on the sudden death obstacles and cut at a downward angle.

My biggest pucker moment happened when I missed that first ratchet strap and I had to waist one swing on one strap. In the moment I thought I had to cut 4 straps with the last swing, watching the video I realized there was only 3 straps and 1 was one that was hanging from the previous cut. What is awesome is I cut that freaking strap that was just hanging there too!

Screenshot_20181012-132621_Chrome.jpg

Lol I grinned right back at ya! I said to myself .... oooh my boy going to be sore tomorrow lol... BUT... YOU GAVE ‘EM HELL!! I thought it was AWESOME!!! Pure heart!!!!!!
I wish I would have taken pictures of all of us they next day, our knuckles were bruised and cut from those damn moving boxes. One of the guys Mark who is a member on here jacked his hand all up(they edited his run out which made me mad). I was honestly sore for about 3 days. My shoulder, elbow and hands were the worst. I felt like Rocky after he fought Apollo Creed.

Man that'd be tough to make a knife just right to handle everything in that course. Curious about your thoughts on what you'd do different as far as making a knife.

Seems a thicker spine, a slightly taller blade (maybe??), and 4 or 5 inches longer would help, especially for the box breaking and 2 x 4 chops. But you'd want to be really careful that it didn't get too thick or heavy for stuff like slicing through lined up onions and pineapples and cutting rope and tatami mats.

I thought you did great. I would have been really gassed out....probably wouldn't have finished. :D

Also, I wonder if you can comment on any instructions and/or rules you were given on time spent at each station?

In every episode some contestants would intentionally walk away from an unfinished task and take a penalty willingly.

What would stop someone, in the box cutter section for instance, from hitting each box once or twice or skipping it completely for that matter, and just take the penalty(s) to save time and energy?

There are certain stations where, strictly from a winning time standpoint, would be much quicker to skip and take the penalty. But I would assume there would be some rules against that.

Also, I wonder if you can comment on any instructions and/or rules you were given on time spent at each station?

In every episode some contestants would intentionally walk away from an unfinished task and take a penalty willingly.

What would stop someone, in the box cutter section for instance, from hitting each box once or twice or skipping it completely for that matter, and just take the penalty(s) to save time and energy?

There are certain stations where, strictly from a winning time standpoint, would be much quicker to skip and take the penalty. But I would assume there would be some rules against that.

Those are exactly some of the things I have wondered about. Since each penalty is 20 sec, The box cutter section seems to be a good place to hit a couple of licks, then take penalty. I'll bet went in the actual competition it'd be hard to keep the timing and plans in mind.

Justin, allow me to say again - you did GREAT! VERY impressed how well you sliced thru many of the places. That hanging strap you cut twice was really impressive!

Man that'd be tough to make a knife just right to handle everything in that course. Curious about your thoughts on what you'd do different as far as making a knife.

Seems a thicker spine, a slightly taller blade (maybe??), and 4 or 5 inches longer would help, especially for the box breaking and 2 x 4 chops. But you'd want to be really careful that it didn't get too thick or heavy for stuff like slicing through lined up onions and pineapples and cutting rope and tatami mats.

I thought you did great. I would have been really gassed out....probably wouldn't have finished. :D

Yes many changes in blade going through my head and going to work on a new design. I would beef up the blade stock 1/4" probably add 6" of blade, two handed handle for sure. I think Zeke had a pretty solid design really. I'm kicking around the idea of something like a short sword gladius. I talked with Anthony about this and at some point I wonder if they will throw a stabbing thrust obstacle in the course to screw with the cleaver designs.

I'm not sure if I can or not but going to...lol

They gave us clear instructions that we must give them a good faith effort on each obstacle and if not we will be disqualified.
They were pretty clear about skipping an obstacle.

Back