McLeish KITH 2020

I’m not a military man but as a Deputy, I typically call everyone I don’t know personally either Sir or Mam. Just a respect thing. I’ll just address you as Bruce from now on!
That's more to my liking. I also understand the respect thing. It's a hard time to be a deputy and I thank you for your service. Stay safe, please.
And just Bruce is fine!

That's a nice finished look. Maybe I'll pick up a gimlet sometime and learn how to use 1-2-3 blocks.

Here's mine awhile back:
I ruined a few bolsters by drilling so I burned the tang through. I thought I could disguise the burn marks and gaps with finish cure.

20200919_183136.jpg20200919_183138.jpg

I had sworn to never try to fit a bolster under 1/8 again. But I'll try your method. Thanks for posting up Bruce!

That's a nice finished look. Maybe I'll pick up a gimlet sometime and learn how to use 1-2-3 blocks.

Here's mine awhile back:
I ruined a few bolsters by drilling so I burned the tang through. I thought I could disguise the burn marks and gaps with finish cure.

View attachment 75078View attachment 75079

I had sworn to never try to fit a bolster under 1/8 again. But I'll try your method. Thanks for posting up Bruce!
You're welcome. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

CRAP!CRAP!CRAP!
Gonna have to remove the handles from Gregs KITH. Both of them have cracks in the cocobolo pieces. Soooooo, it's start over time. these are not fixable. Not a real big deal, I had to restart last years several times too. I'll be a-postin pitchurs soon, Here are the cracks:DSC01613.JPGDSC01614.JPG

That sucks Bruce. I'm sorry.

Might I suggest g-10 or micarta for the bolsters?
That is probably smart. I've not yet used either as a bolster (only used one as a spacer on these knives!) so i guess now is as good of a time as any. Any thing special that I should know?

That is probably smart. I've not yet used either as a bolster (only used one as a spacer on these knives!) so i guess now is as good of a time as any. Any thing special that I should know?

No....not really. G-10 cuts, files, shapes and sands really easy.

Unless you have some handle blocks thick enough, you might have to shorten your bolsters.

+1 on the suckage factor!
Question: Let's say blocks of G-10 aren't available, but only 1/4" sheet material. How well does stacking & gluing several 1/4" sections of G-10 to make a block for a bolster? If that method works, would the layers of G-10 be perpendicular or parallel to the tang?

This is stacked natural canvas micarta and ruby red G10. I like the cross cut look personally. It will bond well if stacked but you might see a line.

Bruce, if you want some micarta or G10 for bolsters, hit me up. I got bunch of drops I keep just for such an occasion. View attachment 75266
That crosscut micarta wave patter adds a lot of eye appeal, very nice looking - and very nice fit and finish.

Back