Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Fantastic work. Your WIPs are the best. This latest work is just over the top. I'm waiting impatiently for your next project.
Paul Spurgas

I should be watching engraving vids too. Thats my next big adventure is to engrave something of my own. I'm 61 now so in 20 years I'll be pretty good, that is if Kaye will help me get into my engravers chair.:)
I have a Gravermax, foot and hand control, compressor, bench, chair, microscope, bits and enthusiasm but still need a engravers block and diamond hone. I want the engravers block thats designed for microscope work. They're about $795 and nobody is selling theirs used. Same goes for the hone. I'm thinking about building the hone. Lon gave me the diamond stone and speed reducted motor but it needs to be adapted together somehow. Maybe I can stumble onto the hone.

Bruce,
The most important thing you have mentioned is your enthusiasm!!! The rest will fall into place with some hard work of course!

I am sure you have had your share of fast starters & even faster quitters.
I have had a multitude of men that said they wanted to learn all about knife making.
It's easy to start! How many have the passion?
To finish after they have Cut & Burned their fingers,Got metal shaving all over themselves? You know the rest of the story.

Great work Bruce,
I'm sure your wife will love to help you into your engraving chair in the future!
We attract a fine and rare group of beautiful women, Beauty on the outside and even more on the inside!
They see and love our passion for our work! Passion is the most important thing in life! No matter your intelligence, education, etc..

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence

Last edited:
Bruce, I'm gonna try to get your way sometime this week. Gonna try to get Napa Brad to come with me. He's been wanting to meet your shop dogs for awhile.
I'll be sure to call before heading your way, to be sure no roadblocks are at the state line. I'll just shove the parts guy out and run for it.

Robin, the coast is clear. Come on over.
Bruce, I'm gonna try to get your way sometime this week. Gonna try to get Napa Brad to come with me. He's been wanting to meet your shop dogs for awhile.
I'll be sure to call before heading your way, to be sure no roadblocks are at the state line. I'll just shove the parts guy out and run for it.

Bruce,
The most important thing you have mentioned is your enthusiasm!!! The rest will fall into place with some hard work of course!

I have had a multitude of men that said they wanted to learn all about knife making.
To finish after they have Cut & Burned their fingers,Got metal shaving all over themselves? You know the rest of the story.

Great work Bruce,
I'm sure your wife will love to help you into your engraving chair in the future!
We attract a fine and rare group of beautiful women, Beauty on the outside and even more on the inside!
They see and love our passion for our work! Passion is the most important thing in life! No matter your intelligence, education, etc..

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence
I think its a caveman mentality in our grain to build a sharp stick (knife) but after making one they quickly find out they can buy one for $29 that cuts better most of the time. They move on to more intellectual hobbies. I've always enjoyed the challenge knifemaking has to offer and found theres more than knives to make but still come back to knives. The burnt fingers alone stop many newbies it seems.

Kaye is a trooper but never knows what to do at a knife show. She doesnt know the terminalogy but is proud of my accomplishments (as long as they pay) and glad all my tools are hers when I die.

Bruce
Just wanted to thank you for the visit yesterday. Pretty cool to watch you forging more of that good knife steel. The other highlite of the trip was getting to see the co star of this WIP in person. Pictures sure can't capture just what a peice it truly is.
Thanks also for the new tool you sent home with me, gonna strain a leather guys brain but I'll try to get it mastered.
Lookin forward to running the border again in the future. Robin

Robin,
Its always fun to have you visit but next time you need to leave your watch at home or tell the wifie you went hunting so you can stay longer.
Enjoy the lathe, I hope you can work the kinks out of it.

Hello Bruce,
What a fabulous work. Your WIP projects are the greatest entertainment on the web. I really hate it when you complete these projects. Its back to TV. I can't imagine how you are going to top the axe-pistol. Following along with you on these projects is really an apprenticeship, I always learn something new.I can't wait for the next one. Just want to express my thanks for all the info you are willing to share.
Paul Spurgas

Hello Paul,
thanks very much for the kind compliments and appreciation. With over 650 pictures plus the ones Roger T put up here, I dont think I can top this project. :) If a picture tells 1000 words, this is at least a 650,000 word WIP. Kaye bought me a new keyboard for Christmas and an external hard drive so I'll be back. Heck this one isnt even done, just took a break to work on knives for Little Rock in February. Since the engraver cant touch this one until about May theres no rush to finish it but might just to show it there.
Hello Bruce,
What a fabulous work. Your WIP projects are the greatest entertainment on the web. I really hate it when you complete these projects. Its back to TV. I can't imagine how you are going to top the axe-pistol. Following along with you on these projects is really an apprenticeship, I always learn something new.I can't wait for the next one. Just want to express my thanks for all the info you are willing to share.
Paul Spurgas

Last edited:
This is an incredible work of art! I can't even imagine doing something this...involved. I look forward to seeing it finished!

Bruce,

Great work Bruce,

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence

Laurence, I know what you're talking about with the folks who believe they want to build a knife, but then lose their drive when it gets hard and takes a long time. I've had about six people work with me on knife projects of their own; two of them are budding knife makers. I guess that's a pretty good average! We have a passion that can't be quenched, and that's what it takes to get this done.

Bruce's passion is unsurpassed. His project WIPs are the most compelling thing on the web (for a maker I mean :)). But you know, neither of those potential knife makers I've mentioned have had the passion to stay with one of these WIPs. So I question their sincerity. What will happen when they're in their own shops? Will they even have their own shops? One of them does, but he still can't heat treat. Has an oven, just hasn't learned how to use it. The other one is fantastic with the tools and is patient as it takes. I think he might actually pull this off if he can just get the money together to equip a shop of his own. Time will tell.

But I keep telling them that there's no better inspiration than Bruce Bump's WIPs. Until they study one, I'm not depending on their commitment. :)

Dave, These are some mighty fine compliments. Thank You

I hear ya about newbies. I think we are just cut from a different cloth to not get tired of knives. I constantly think about them, its so bad that everybody I meet the subject just comes up somehow. Go figure?

The youngsters dont like me looking over their shoulder and offering advice every 2 minutes. I think that erases most of their love for knives. One kid only lasted for 2 lessons. I guess I must have said something? The internet is a less threatening way to teach and it can be done in my jammies :)

Last edited:
now there's a thought... Bruce running down the hall will his "jammies" on and the button up back door flapping in the wind :)

Erik

Bruce, you wouldn't run me off giving me suggestions. I'd give my eye teeth (about the only ones I have left) to spend a few days in your shop!

Dave, These are some mighty fine compliments. Thank You

I hear ya about newbies. I think we are just cut from a different cloth to not get tired of knives. I constantly think about them, its so bad that everybody I meet the subject just comes up somehow. Go figure?

The youngsters dont like me looking over their shoulder and offering advice every 2 minutes. I think that erases most of their love for knives. One kid only lasted for 2 lessons. I guess I must have said something? The internet is a less threatening way to teach and it can be done in my jammies :)

Back