Master Knifemakers Mindset?

Some great input from all ...
Attitude seems to be very important, it shapes your approach and becomes the defining factor in the finished product. One of the few things in life we actually have control of!
Mindset = Attitude...
Am I right or just close?

Rex,

I have had the great and humbling pleasure to meet so many people of great class in this industry. Knife household names that stuck their hand out FIRST in friendship and never talked or looked down on me. Folks like Kit Carson, Ken Onion, Pat & Wes Crawford, Johnny Stout, David Broadwell, and many others. Good, solid, stand up guys. Men of character.

Robert, I am also a member of The International Society of Caricature Artists and have met a great many similar folks there. I have also met some pyrotechnic rectums who were not necessarily the best artists in the group. When I went to my first convention with them, I was so blown away by the stellar quality of the work that I wanted to hang my head and slink off into the shadows. I felt like a four year old with a mouthful of crayons compared to these giants! The thing is the best ones were the most down to Earth, humble, and helpful. They always build others up and never tear them down! They also all had phenomenal work ethics and play ethics!

Remember to enjoy what you are doing and to not compare your work to anyone's but your own, and you will be amazed at the improvement you see!

Good, better, best.
Never ever rest.
Until your "good" is better,
and your "better" is the Best

Sounds cheesy, but it helps remind me to keep trying.

"Make knives you love and love making them." Mr. Burch, that is outstanding advice and a lot of wisdom in one simple sentence.

Some of these guys are so modest it makes me want to just sit down and cry, knowing the kind of quality they put out!

James, that quote needs to be made into a plaque and EVERY Knife maker needs to post it in their shop! I think I may get the wife a router and get her making these!

I agree, the modesty around here is thick! Ed's stuff is pure art, or functional art, and the quality that Michael is putting out is getting better every time. Some of you all may have seen his most recent review in BLADE Mag, it is an excellent , although too small, article. Mike you have got to share how you did that G-10 like that, personally I thought it was funny that you did it based on an American past time ( as pagan as it is), yet you still incorporated a Japanese hint to it. Yes, I caught the pattern in the handle as the rising sun, like that of the Japanese flag. Intentional or not, it looks GREAT! And you gave up an editor gig to make knives full time!? WOW! I've got the passion, but passion won't provide insurance! Love your work, and the Warnie's you're doing are looking awesome! Keep on keepin` on! RexRex

Rex,

I have had the great and humbling pleasure to meet so many people of great class in this industry. Knife household names that stuck their hand out FIRST in friendship and never talked or looked down on me. Folks like Kit Carson, Ken Onion, Pat & Wes Crawford, Johnny Stout, David Broadwell, and many others. Good, solid, stand up guys. Men of character.

Robert, I am also a member of The International Society of Caricature Artists and have met a great many similar folks there. I have also met some pyrotechnic rectums who were not necessarily the best artists in the group. When I went to my first convention with them, I was so blown away by the stellar quality of the work that I wanted to hang my head and slink off into the shadows. I felt like a four year old with a mouthful of crayons compared to these giants! The thing is the best ones were the most down to Earth, humble, and helpful. They always build others up and never tear them down! They also all had phenomenal work ethics and play ethics!

Remember to enjoy what you are doing and to not compare your work to anyone's but your own, and you will be amazed at the improvement you see!

Well put Rock!
Something I learned a long time ago, (can't remember if it was in a psych class or where I picked it up), people who put down other people are only doing it to make themselves feel better about themselves! It's a self esteem problem, every maker I've met in person has been the same way with the exception of one, I won't name him or elaborate on it, I guess there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, the makers that are considered to be on the top are the ones that are the nicest people. Could it be they don't need to feel any better about themselves, could it be confidence? I think they were the same way before they got to the top, and just didn't change. Look at yourself, an accomplished artist in your own right, and here you are chatting it up with a hack` like me! I will admit I'm just a part time hack, the rest of the time I'm enjoying 16 hour work days, 8 of which I actually get paid for...you know with money. The other 8, satisfaction is my main compensation, and a lot of HAPPINESS! If I could pay my bills with happiness I would have it made! But seriously, I checked out your web site, and you do some very nice work, been thinking about getting up with you after Blade to work on my Logo, it'll have to be after I get back and recuperated....financially! But I do want get with you and see what we might be able to come up with, we'll talk about it later, are you going to be at Blade? I'm working with Murph at the Knife Dogs Booth, if your there find me, would love to chat with you, I'm going to hit the hay now, stayed up late working on a sheath, and I'm pooped out, G`nite, Rex

Try doing some design work on paper and draw till you come up with a design that excites you. When you are excited about what you are doing you will take a little more time with everything involved so you don't screw it up.
Make something that you have never made before, like a simple slip-joint to challenge yourself. I have been making knives for 10 yrs and about a week ago just finished my first lockback. It was challenging but I also learned a lot. It almost makes me want to build a couple more.

Another thing about becoming a knifemaking star- you have to build knives that set yourself apart from the rest.

Just be like a doctor practice and practice and practice, 20 some years of it and still not happy. Now I'm to a point in life that I'm going to start needing more help like fixtures, I'm begaining to see that I'm not as steady as I was.

Now on grinding ( hollow grinding ) free hand, if you pay close attention you can hear a difference in sound of the grinder when you are starting to grind where you don't want to be grinding, the sound changes pitch, along with the feel the wheel and the heat.

Also, if you make what you like and like what you are making, really helps. I always have trouble if I don't like the style knife I'm making.

Last edited:
Just be like a doctor practice and practice and practice, 20 some years of it and still not happy. Now I'm to a point in life that I'm going to start needing more help like fixtures, I'm begaining to see that I'm not as steady as I was.

Now on grinding ( hollow grinding ) free hand, if you pay close attention you can hear a difference in sound of the grinder when you are starting to grind where you don't want to be grinding, the sound changes pitch, along with the feel the wheel and the heat.

Also, if you make what you like and like what you are making, really helps. I always have trouble if I don't like the style knife I'm making.

Art,
That is my biggest problem with customers, they come to me with a design or something they have drawn up, they "feel" it's a great design, they "think" it will be the end all be all knife of the century, one even asked about getting a patent! What I have to explain to them that what they see on paper may not be what I end up making, I "try" , "attempt", explain and explain and explain how my process goes, how when I'm making a knife, that I have to feel it. I have to commune with the steel, to be able to pour my heart and soul into each piece. Now putting that in print to me sounds like a fat load of crap! There really isn't anything mystical about making a knife....or is there? A tool maker takes a set of plans and by those plans makes the tool just like it looks on paper, how am I different? The only thing I can see is the artistic nature that sets knife making apart from that particular comparison. The worst case scenario I end up telling them I'm a newbie and that my skill level isn't good enough to make what they want, or if it's something I think I can do, I will tell them that I can make it but I will not guarantee that it will be exactly like it is drawn, hell, I take my own drawings that I really like and usually end up changing them to some degree when I make them. Once I get into making it there will sometimes be an unforeseen task that I can't do with my equipment, or be a limitation of my skill level. Once I get to the point of being good enough to have more people want me to take orders, I don't think I will, that could possibly change. But the thing that makes me want to go to the shop everyday is the pursuit of something new. Something different, probably the hardest part in knife making, because in fixed blades it's just about all been done. You don't have enough parts to change that someone else hasn't thought of at some point since the first knife was made. Now, I'm not saying there isn't anything new that can't be done, that would be silly because my goal when I sit down with my sketch pad, I'm looking for a new idea, a different something. Just like Chuck G. said, trying to find something that sets me apart from everyone else. I've been drawing knives for 25 or more years, I guess it was the thing that sated the knife making desire in me at the time, I agree with Chuck, drawing it out, is the first step, seeing one come to a finished piece is an amazing experience. Seeing the evolution of an idea, from the initial concept to the finished product is another part that drives me to create. I know that they don't and won't always pan out, due to my inexperience, or lack of equipment.That doesn't matter right now, because those are the ideas that get put up until I feel like I can make what I see in my head. Like I mentioned, I make fixed blades, making folders is a dream of mine that I will -in time- make. I believe that there are dues to be paid, there was a time that those dues were paid by being an apprentice, several years of servitude was the price that was paid to gain the knowledge that is NOW FREELY given to those that will only ask, and lots more will be given if that individual shows initiative to go out and get information that is already in print, either on-line or in books. I feel that my dues are paid by making as many top quality knives I can make, selling some for enough money to buy more material, and as we all have done, giving them away to friends and family. I will offer the knives I want to make, I explain that for me to make it with the quality and attention to detail that I do, it has to be something I want to make, if it's not, then my heart will not be in it. It will not be my very best. I think that's something I'll eventually have to get over, or just make sure that the ones I want to make are the ones that people want to buy! Quality will allows be in demand, BUT that isn't always enough, it also needs to be attractive, functional and tough, sharp doesn't hurt either! Thanks, Rex

I am by no means a pro, but the one thing I can tell you all these guys probably have in common is patience. You have to take the time to get it exactly right. If you have the mentality that "it's good enough", you are taking short cuts.

Take the time to do it right, and patience will become the norm. I irritate everyone around me whenever I do something constructive because I take so much time to get it right. It's almost a curse, but a good one in my book because it will show when your work is handled by someone else with their own opnions of it.

Patience... That takes time to master
Sometimes a humbling experience and wherein lies the Quandary
Do you want to make good knives faster or take more time to make Good knives better???
Knife making is a creative release and more important a time out from the worlds events. Since having to get a "Real Job" to support my knife making I find the shop time fly's by while a 40hr week drags on and on.

Back