Margarita Swayback Wharncliffe

Johnny Roberts

Very similar to the brown basketweave Swayback I posted here earlier.

ATS-34 blade (RC 59) and spring (RC 49) with stainless steel liners and pins. The light green (margarita) colored scales rest on white liners. I picked this green micarta up from Tracey at usaknifemaker.com. I really like it and it is great to work with.

It has a pull of about 6 out of 10 and is flush at all 3 stops.

The Wharncliffe blade has turned out to be a favorite of mine. It is different than a trapper blade but very functional. This one is 3 ½ closed and 6 1/8 open.

I included a shot of the inside of the liners prior to assembly because many times I find that people don't know what is meant by milled liners. Metal is removed (about .007") to create a spce so the blade will not be scratched when it is closed. Liner material remains around the pin in order to create an area that functions similar to a washer or spacer. It is difficult and time consuming but I think it contributes to a quality product.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

More photos if you are interested at my website here.

Many thanks for looking and all the help you guys on this forum have provided me.

Johnny

Thanks, guys. I sincerely appreciate the comments.

As Stan mentioned, it is turning out to be a great EDC. I was going to put it up for sale but I am really starting to enjoy it.

Doug, you are a skilled artisan. Fantastic engraving. I hope to be getting some work done by you soon.

Travis, glad you are now in Houston and I look forward to meeting you. The leather pouch was done by me. I wanted to have something that kept the knife away from my keys and pocket change. These pouches are working out nicely. I have a lot to learn but am enjoying the process.

Thanks again for the kind words. I have a bit of vacation to burn so I plan on being in the shop as much as I can.

Johnny

Johnny, nice looking knife.
I have not made a slip joint knife so I'm not familiar with their construction. Why can't .007 brass washers as in a liner lock be used instead of milling the liners? Thanks, Dan

Dan Van, thank you.

You can certainly use washers to acheive the same effect. I used .005 copper washers for several slip joints. Milling the liners is just a different way of doing it.

If you are going to use washers, remember that the tang on your blade will need to be thinner than your spring. If you are going to use two .007 brass washers, you will technically need to make your tang .014 thinner than your spring to avoid any gaps on the spine of the knife.

Thats technically. In reality, I would probably make the tang about .011 thinner since the brass is soft and will deform slightly when you peen the knife together.

With milled liners, I am able to keep the blade the same width as the spring.

Just another way of doing things. This is my way and it has worked well for me. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am glad to share any info I might have.

Johnny

Johnny , Thanks for the detailed response, Maybe I'll try a slip joint some day to further my knife making experiences. Thanks, Dan

Back