Made my first ever Kydex knife sheath

nukehayes

Hey guys, let me first say that this is a wonderful forum, lots of info here. Ok this is my first post, so here it goes. I purchased a Kydex sheath kit from KnifeKits.com the other day to replace the horrible, low quality sheath that came with my Gerber Freeman. After looking on theses forums for some tips, I jumped right in with both feet and here is the result. After looking at it, I think I might even be able to reverse the belt loop to have a higher carry on it. I know it can't compare to your guys' expertise, but its a start. Thanks for looking and thanks for a great forum.102_0304.jpg102_0306.jpg102_0302.jpg102_0303.jpg102_0305.jpg

Looks good. The only thing I might recommend for your next one is to make the sheath a little bit longer and have more of the handle covered by the sheath for retention purposes.

The photos appear as though you got a really good press and you've shaped it really well. Keep up the good work.

I agree with Murph a little longer would have been good. That said, you did a good job on the sheath.

Larry

Thank you all for your kind words. In truth, I was rather surprised at how well it came out. My press was made out of two 12"x12" 3/4" thick plywood and a camp mat cut into 4 12"x12" squares, hotglued two pads to each piece of wood and used a bench vice and a Ford wrench on top because I don't have a large enough C-clamp or vice grips. I might go get a few of those squeeze grip vise grips that look like a caulking gun. I was worried about not having enough material for retention after I molded it around the knife. After the initial molding, a few tries with the heat gun trial and error style obtained me enough retention on the choil. A little dremel barrel sanding for the shaping and finishing and viola!. Can't wait to make more for handguns and other knives.

Back