Logos, etched or stamped?

Noellaflamme

So, I am planning on getting a stencil to etch my logo (which i'm still working on) and started wondering if i should also get a stamp made, and if so, from where?
also what do you think of this logo?Capture.PNG

Steelstampsinc done one for me and I was very impressed by their work and customer service. They do hardened makers marks stamps for metal and leather mark stamps I know.And depending on the size stamp you get, the wording at the bottom could get small.

Steelstampsinc done one for me and I was very impressed by their work and customer service. They do hardened makers marks stamps for metal and leather mark stamps I know.And depending on the size stamp you get, the wording at the bottom could get small.
But you may have to sell a couple of knives to pay for it. It isn't cheap.

ill check them out, how are their prices? yeah i was wondering about the sizing with a stamp... im going to print some scale models to see what is too small

I got a 1/2" custom metal stamp for 140 and a 5/8" leather stamp for 160. So....not too bad.

I got a 1/2" custom metal stamp for 140 and a 5/8" leather stamp for 160. So....not too bad.
yeah thats not too bad, may hold off on them for now though, about to order an electric stencil from ernies knives though. any input on my design? still working on it

Check out Ernie Grospitch's website for etching. He also has electrolyte recipe's and recommendations on power supplies.

Yeah, he's great. Super helpful throughout the whole process. I did buy one of the power supplies he recommended also.

It goes from 0-40V with both DC and AC. DC removes the metal and AC will darken it. I usually run it at about 24V and etch multiple times to get a good deep etch.

It goes from 0-40V with both DC and AC. DC removes the metal and AC will darken it. I usually run it at about 24V and etch multiple times to get a good deep etch.
is it necessary to get, or would a dc battery charger work too? (i know it probably wouldn't be as good as his power supplies

Nothing is necessary. I started out using a Radio Shack 12V power supply. However, it will take you a lot longer, and your results won't look as good because the DC voltage is not going to darken the etch like AC voltage will. My early etchings sometimes would almost, like, "flake" out of the etch and not always look consistent. Start out with what you have. If you don't like it, you can always upgrade.

Nothing is necessary. I started out using a Radio Shack 12V power supply. However, it will take you a lot longer, and your results won't look as good because the DC voltage is not going to darken the etch like AC voltage will. My early etchings sometimes would almost, like, "flake" out of the etch and not always look consistent. Start out with what you have. If you don't like it, you can always upgrade.
i guess that is very true,is there anything i can put in it to darken the etch?

Back