Locktite pros, cons, opinions

Here is what I do for pivot screws. I use an 8-32 pivot screw and I put a nylon insert in it to stop it from turning. Make a jig block with 8-32 threads tapped in it. Drill a hole for a #51 drill perpendicular to the threads so that it will allow you to drill a hole 3 threads from the end of your pivot screw. Remove the screw after drilling the hole in it and deburr both sides of the hole. Take a piece of weed eater line that measures .165" in diameter and force it into the hole. It should slide in easy. Trim both sides flush with the threads with a razor. Now screw the pivot screw with the nylon line in it back into the screw jig. This will force the nylon tight into the hole and it will also clean up the ends. Now just screw it into the pivot of your folder and it will stay where you tighten it.

Thanks for that, Tom.2thumbs

I've never used Loctite on my folders until recently.

I make the pivot screws tighten the liners against the ends of the pivot bushing, so there's no adjustment needed.

Lately though, I've had a few knives returned with loose or missing screws, usually on the pocket clip. So I found an old tube of blue Loctite in the cabinet and started using that.

I just finished up some small folders and decided to use the Loctite just in case a screw might work loose in the future.

After a couple of days I disassembled one of these and found that the Loctite hadn't had any affect.

So, I bought a new tube after church yesterday.

Question: ??? Does this stuff have a shelf life?

The old stuff is still liquid and a light blue. A little thicker than water.

I had that same thing happen to me a little while back (locktite not holding). Tube was couple years old, so I tossed it and got a new tube and it worked fine.

Seems it does have a shelf life, but I dont know what it is...

unopened virtually no shelf life
opened limited shelf life a year in most cases do a test if in question if the loctite does not start locking up in an hour it is junk

Back