Liner Lock bar relief cut help

Txcwboy

I am making my first liner lock and I need to cut the relief on the lock bar. I have a mini Mill , what tool should I use ? Cut it down to .5-.6 ? How wide does it need to be ? Any tutorials anywhere ? Its a Bulldog so the width isn't restricted.

thanks

Dave

If I understand the question,I just use a carbide burr in my Dremel.
Cut it down to about .07-.08
Hope that helps.

God bless,Keith

I use a 1/2" carbide four flute end mill to cut my reliefs.If you can't go that big use a 1/4" and make 2 cuts.I take mine down to .060.
Stan

I know I have a .5 four flute but its not a carbide. And a couple smaller ones also. None are carbide though. Cheap one :)

Dave

Oops! I misread your post. I use from 1/4 to .375 4 flute center cutting end mill. I start with a plunge taking an .030 cut and continue till Im at .060 thick. Then I move over about .030 a few times until the cut is .500 or so long then make a climbing cut taking off a few thou to make a flat bottom on the cut with clean radius' at both ends. The size of the cutter determines the radius but I control the length of the cut. Carbide is nice but HSS will work fine, just dont let the smoke out of the cutter!

You only need carbide if you are cutting metal that is hardened. Use a ball nose endmill and climb mill both sides. This will give you a good finish. Conventional milling will leave a finish on what has been cut that looks like a tornado hit it and is no good for a finish pass. Climb milling will leave a good looking finish. When you cut with a ball nose, by nature, one side of the cut will be climb milled and good looking, and the other will be convential milled and look like crap. To fix this, when you get to the end of your cut, move over in the axis perpendicular to your cut about .001" or .002" (sometimes it takes a tad more), and come back down your cut. Now you have two climb milled sides and it looks good. This will leave a very small flat in the bottom of the channel, but nothing obvious to the untrained eye :)

I have very little mill experience. I have a Grizzly Mini Mill . So that was all Greek to me :)

Back