let's talk work rest bevel grinding jigs.

rhinoknives

Hello fellow steel grinding junkies.
As a few of you may know I am having some issuues grinding my bevels.

I have seen rests in the past that you set on your work rest after it's squared to the platen and can push them into the belt. They have some allen head screws so you can set a degree of angle.

Any of you guys know of a ready made one on the market? Any experiences with these ??

Thanks.

Laurence,

I know the jigs you are talking about but the only ones I have seen were homemade affairs. The closest I can think of to a commercial product would be the articulating work table that Chris Williams is making over at Wilmont grinders.

I will be getting one in the mail this week. After I verify his work is quality i will pass his info onto you.

The simple (cheap) way to do this is a 1,2,3 block, and a standard wide tool rest. Just tilt the platen at the angle desired (5º?), clamp the blade to the 123 block, and side across belt. For a full tang blade, just drill 1 (or 2) holes in the tang that will be covered with handle, bolt to 123 block with back of blade flush with bottom.

This is about most simple setup you can get, and actually works pretty good.

Ken H>

I use a home built jig that is made from 2 inch aluminium angle.It has 3 bolt holes drilled and tapped at the back bottom and a rectangle slot cut on the face that my file guide fits in,I put my guide on the blade put the blank in the jig with the guide in the slot and use a small c clamp on the tang to hold it in place.I use 3 bolts at the back in the holes mentioned above and set my bevel running the bolts up and down.I use a angle/degree gauge to check that it's were it needs to be and it works great.The 123 block that Ken mentioned works but is not as repeatable as the jig.The main reason I don't just tilt the platen is its tilted towards you and I have a tendency to get down looking at my grind line and I am afraid of bumping my head on the belt.Granted its not much of a tilt but then again I have sawed a thumb into before watching my work and not my fingers.Go figure

AK, why is the 123 block less repeatable? Understand, I'm not disputing your statement, just asking and VERY interested in something that works better. On small 3" to 4" blades is all I've used the 123 block with and they have been consistent on both sides. I have not tried it on long blades yet. The bubble jig works pretty good to get a decent bevel started on the longer blades.

How wide is your aluminum angle for the platen rest? You have a slot on both ends of aluminum to move blade/file guide from side to other when changing sides of bevel? I tried something along those lines, but it wasn't as consistent as the 123 block. Just rotate 123 block from side to side as side of bevel changes, no changes on bolting up blade. My tool rest is extra wide on one side so the 123 block has room.

At first I wsa tilting the work rest, but decided "for me", tilting the platen was easier. After all, it's just 4 to 5º tilt.

Later

Oh and in my defence on the thumb a brand new pair of never before worn or used bifocals were to blame.That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Sorry for digressing hay look it's a muskox ...........

I say more consistant repeatable because of the file guide.The guide slot is in the middle of the jig,you just take your blank out and flip it around and reclamp.Your file guide never moves on the blank and is therfore held to the jig in the same attitude on both sides.I think the jig is about 6 inches long,I'm up at work now and I don't have any pics of it on my phone ,maybe I can talk the wife into snaping some pics tonight and texting them to me.

Ken I just realized what your doing,once you bolt it to the block it stays bolted to it for both sides.I'm picking up what your laying down now.

Yep, that's right, once the blade is bolted to block, it stays bolted - just flip block around to other side of grinder.

With your jig, as long as there is no slack in the slot holding the file guide, it would be VERY consistent also. I tried a jig similar to that method, but there was a bit too much slop in the holder to base when flipped from side to side.

As long as it works for you, keep it up. I would enjoy seeing a photo, just take your time.

Ken H>

I know what you mean Ken,I trued up one side of the slot and always index to that side and clamp.one thing I like about my set up is the repeatability,the grinds are always consistent from knife to knife and thats important when doing a set of knives of the same pattern for one customer.

I know what you mean Ken,I trued up one side of the slot and always index to that side and clamp.one thing I like about my set up is the repeatability,the grinds are always consistent from knife to knife and thats important when doing a set of knives of the same pattern for one customer.

Ken, Ak and others, Thanks for posting.

Ak, Ant chance you could snap a couple of pictures of your homemade beauty?

Also I always wear a ball cap while grinding. The brim works like a curb scraper so i don't put my nose or forehead etc, into the belt. You would be surprised at how the brim gets chewed up after a while! LOL.

Laurence when I talk to my sweet bride tonight I will see if she can snap some picks for me and I will post them for you.

Last edited:
Ok my wife went out in the shoo and snaped some pics for me,sorry I can't show it with a blade in it but I think you get the idea,the pic with the file guide on the blade is from my wip,You put the guide on your blade and put that in the notch and put a clamp on the tang ,the bolts in the pic are screwed all the way down but I also use some longer ones with lock nuts under them for my shallower deg sets.Hope this helps Laurence.PS if my memory is correct it's 1/4 inch thick 2 inch angle by around 6 inches long.

Attachments

• IMAG1462.jpg
    IMAG1462.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG1465.jpg
    IMAG1465.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 204
Akwildman how do you make your knife stay put in you jig? Are you clamping it to your jig or are you just holding it?

AK, that's a neat idea, and will work like a champ. With the tang clamped to one side, the other side holds blade in place with the same angle. If a person wishes to tilt platen, no need for the bolts even.

Sometimes it's the simple ideas that work best.

73 de Ken H>

Back