Lanyard tubing - both on fixed and folders, need help

REK Knives

What do you guys use? I am wanting a source where I can get the lanyard tubing pictured below... this way the liners/scales can be removable. I know on fixed blades you can just epoxy tubing in, but i don't want to do this. I couldn't find anything on usa knife makers supply.

DSCF7147.JPG

On knives , that I want the scales to be removable, I don't use a tube. just a hole in the scale and in the tang/liners.
I think the reason people put tubes in , is more for aesthetics than anything.

JMHO

Dwane

It can be for aesthetics or for function such as when you want a light weight mechanical hold that wont ever come loose. I still epoxy the tube even when flaring them just to seal up an area where moisture or blood could soak in under it. In the stub tangs I am building the single flaired tube is just added insurance against the three pieces of the scales and added tang porting from delamination.

It can be for aesthetics or for function such as when you want a light weight mechanical hold that wont ever come loose. I still epoxy the tube even when flaring them just to seal up an area where moisture or blood could soak in under it. In the stub tangs I am building the single flaired tube is just added insurance against the three pieces of the scales and added tang porting from delamination.

Along with the reasons noted by Shane, a smooth flared lanyard tube won't put any undue stress or ridges that can fray your leather or paracord lanyard.

I actually don't need or want it to be flared... just straight. I want to use it in fixed blades so I can put removeable scales on it. I am having another knife maker make me about 25 out of aluminum to try out.

Hi Razor-Edge

I cant say I have ever seen tubing that looks like that in a store, but I dont think it should be too difficult to produce, either by turning down thick wall tubing in a lathe or by pressing a piece of thin tubing into a piece of thicker tubing. ie: press a piece of 6mm tubing, into a piece of 8mm tubing with 1mm wall thickness (ie: the inside diameter of the larger tube is 6mm).

I used a similar concept to make the small wheels for my grinder (much longer but the same concept) - I pressed 6mm dia stainless rod through 8mm dia (1mm wall thickness) stainless tubing until the stainless tubing was centered on the rod. I used my bench vice to press the rod through the tubing. It should be possible to do the same to make the "lanyard tubes" you want.

Back