Knifemaker estate sale

Dan,

Your contribution will make a difference. I know she will be gratefull.

Thank you.

I wish I could give her something but I can't so I will try to help her in my own way.

If there are any questions about any of the items that may be there, please post them so I will be sure to find the answers for you.

I will read all updates to this thread prior to leaving in the morning to get the latest information and requests.

You guys are great.

Thanks

Went to see Gracie today. Very nice lady.

Below are a LOT of photos. I kind of jumped around just a bit but everyone should be able to follow the photos.

Gracie and I have a little different opinion on what a LOT is. The hand tools, wrenches and such are not as much as I thought there would be but there are tools that are added to the knifemaking stuff. You will see a red toolbox full of stuff and also a table saw and some other small power tools that are useful to have for anyone.

If you want to know more about the knives in the first couple photos let me know and I will contact her. She wants to sell them individually. You will also see walrus tusks hanging on the wall. These tusks are for sale. They are 22 inches long and 9" in circumference at the base. She is selling this for $1750 and that is a good deal compared to what Bob got it for. It has a Tag on it showing it is legal.

Bob also bought another set of tusks and used part of one and the other side is complete, you will see them in a later photo sitting buy a framing square that is 24" long.

I tested the machines and they all work.

The Wilton is single speed. There are three photos of belts. I had a stupid attack and forgot to check how many and what grits. The Wilton also has a platen attachment that has two sizes of wheels.

The Baldor buffer is used for sharpening. Has leather wheels on it.
There is a small grinder with stones on it.
A floor standing drill press with a buffing wheel on it and a tabletop drill press, both work and both have lights.
There are two horizontal vertical bandsaws. One has a really nice vise mounted on it that is in a photo down a bit as I did not notice it at first and came back to get the photo.
There is a 12" disc sander with an unopened package of sanding discs.
The anvil is AWESOME. It is about 150 pounds, there are no weight markings on it but I picked it up and it feels like 150 pounds to me. The face is pretty much flawless. VERY nice anvil. The stand is secured into the floor with concrete so it would have to be cut off at floor level. I am sure Gracie would appreciate it being removed for her.
There is not a lot of steel. There are a few pieces of cable (Bob made a lot of cable damascus) and three large circular saw blades that are L6 according to what he told Gracie. These blades are about 4' in diameter and about 1/4" thick. There is a 5 gallon bucket full of chainsaw chain for making damascus. In addition there is more chainsaw chain hanging on a cabinet.
The coal forge is very nice with a hood and exhaust, there is a spot rusted through on the right side at the top that would need repaired but that would be an easy repair. There is a wood burning stove in there that exhausts into the forge exhaust. Gracie says just a couple of pieces of wood and Bob had to open the doors in the winter. It is in good shape. There are two plastic barrels of coal (30 gallon barrels) and a washtub about half full. There are a couple containers of satinite in a cabinet for forge repairs.

There is not gas forge as Gracie thought. Apparently Bob was going to make one but never got to it before he got sick.

There are several shelves of handle material, all wood of various kinds. I saw cocobolo, ironwood, curly maple and others I did not recognize (I am not good with woods). There are three packages of Stag (pairs) that still have the price tags of $68 each on them.

There is a large tub of antler and other material and a bag of small exotic pieces like pearl and ivory.

There is a PVC pipe container that has Ferric Chloride in it. It is by the large saw blades. It is about 3.5' tall and 2" in diameter.

There is a 6" pipe that is 3' tall that is his quench tank, not sure what was in it, maybe a mixture of oils. Has a nice heavy lid.

The rest of the stuff should be obvious but let me know if you have questions.

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

If you look at this carefully you will see that Gracie is offering a very good deal here.

My assessment:
Wilton is about $3000 new so this is definitely worth $1200
The Anvil is at least worth $400 (more in my opinion)
The 12" disc grinder is worth at least $100
There is at least 60 belts of various grits for another $200
There is well over $1000 worth of handle material counting the ivory pieces.
The band saws and drill presses are a couple hundred all together.

There are files, hammers, tongs, brass, copper flats stock and pin stock. There is a lot of wood, vices, granite plate, knife vise, clamps, tempering (toaster) oven, small air compressor (old) a lot of miscellaneous hardware, leather, leather tooling, foredom and bits, a small shop press with hydraulic jack, arbor press, wood stove, forge and many other small hardware pieces.

Gracie is looking to get $3000 for ALL of it. Give her $3000 and come load it all up.

Luckily she has a couple people pretty interested in it all but have not seen it so they will be checking out this thread so they can see what is there.

I think is well worth the $3000 and more. Gracie can definitely use the money, she lives in a nice mobile home that needs repairs and Bob was going to do it and was disappointed he could not get the home all fixed up before passing. The sale of this equipment will help her get the home issues fixed up and she should be good for several years as far as the house is concerned. This sale will be the last thing Bob does to help her in her future alone.

I definitely hope someone out there wants this shop and can afford to buy it soon.

Send me questions and donations to bob@warnerknives.com

I did make her very happy by helping her find Bob's signature stamps. She had looked everywhere for "Whatever" he used to mark the blades with his signature but had no idea how he did that. When she told me that I went right over to the forge table and found the stamps right there ready to be used. She is very happy to have those to pass on to her SEVEN adult kids.

Gracie is now supporting herself by hand stitching quilts. She does awesome work on those things. She is talented in her own right.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make it clear what is there.

Thanks to anyone willing to buy or donate or just offer up prayers for her.

Bob

Bob, WOW thats a great price for all that awesome stuff!!!! If I wasnt 2000 miles away, I would be there already!

At that price Im sure its gona be SOLD quick!

Great job brotha!
:angel: God bless you and yours.
Randy

If I had the money, it would be sold already. Anyone want to pool our money? All I want are the hammers, tongs, and anvil.

Randy,

Even at that distance it would be worth the trip in my opinion.

Murph, Pooling would be a good idea but a hassle if everyone was far apart. I really wish I had the cash, I would sell what I did not need and keep the stuff I did. You could probably make some money that way.

Andy, it all helps man. It adds up and she can use whatever we can get for her. She will have to pay someone to make the repairs so it will cost her a bit more than if Bob was still around.

It is times like these I wish I had a bunch of cash so I could buy the shop and send some people over there to fix up her place so she would be OK for a while.

We do what we can.

Thanks,

Bob

Paypal sent,although it's not much,but I trust
you will use it where it is needed.

Thanks for doing this.

God bless,Keith

To the people donating money for Gracie.

I can tell you that although he is no longer here, Bob Blasingame would be very proud and humbled to have you sending your cash to help out his wife.

When I was at Gracie's home she kept telling me that she could not believe I would drive over a hundred miles and spend a few hours going through Bob's things and helping her by taking the photos and help try to sell these items when I don't know her or Bob. I kept telling her that although Bob and I did not know each other, we still have a common bond in knife making and there is a brotherhood in knife making. I tried to explain that it is like Firemen or Police in that we don't have to know our brother to want to help him. I told her that I am confident that if I were the one that passed, Bob would have done the same for me.

I really enjoy knives, using and making them, building the tools and coming up with new ways to do things but that is nothing compared to seeing the wife of a good man swell up with tears because his brothers REALLY do care about him and his family. I feel bad that every one of you did not get to be there for that.

She still does not know yet that there will be a check coming. I have not told her about your donations. I will wait a little longer to see if I can get any more donations then I will transfer it all to my bank account and write her a check.

Again, thanks to all that are donating. This is a good thing and you guys are great for helping. I thank you all personally and for Gracie.

Bob

Bob, I couldn't open the photos you posted, but I looked at all of them in the email notice I got from KD telling me you had posted. I saw lots of tools that are duplicates of mine. I have two belt grinders, a Burr King and a Wilton Square Wheel. the Wilton is all I use. The other one is too slow for me.

Thanks for all the photos. You done good, friend.

To keep my wife from being in that possition some time in the far off future (I'm 68) I need to make an inventory of my stuff with values, not what I told her that I paid for all that stuff.
:s12137:
Yes, I am trying to be funny but I'm dead serious too. All of us need to do an inventory with values of all of our stuff (not just knife and blacksmithing stuff, guns, knives, other tools, everything that you own). Widow, widowers, children, etc. don't need the problems when you are gone.

When a number of the blacksmiths have died their friends have conducted an auction and they have realized way more than they would have otherwise. Blacksmiths and Knifemakers will sometimes pay more for an item just because who it belonged to and to help out those left behind.

To keep my wife from being in that possition some time in the far off future (I'm 68) I need to make an inventory of my stuff with values, not what I told her that I paid for all that stuff.
:s12137:
Yes, I am trying to be funny but I'm dead serious too. All of us need to do an inventory with values of all of our stuff (not just knife and blacksmithing stuff, guns, knives, other tools, everything that you own). Widow, widowers, children, etc. don't need the problems when you are gone.

When a number of the blacksmiths have died their friends have conducted an auction and they have realized way more than they would have otherwise. Blacksmiths and Knifemakers will sometimes pay more for an item just because who it belonged to and to help out those left behind.

Thanks for jerking me awake, Wayne.

This needs to be done, along with a lot of other things in my life. very important!

And I'm only 76.

What I have done was to purchase a life insurance policy. The premiums are paid by the knives sold. My wife knows all my tools go to the NC custom knife makers Guild. She collects the insurance and doesn't have to worry about what to do with my shop.

As of now there has not been anyone offering to buy the entire lot. This is unfortunate because she really needs to get this sold and the longer the wait the more likely it will be difficult to sell. There was one person very interested but I think he backed out due to his inability to get the funds.

If anyone out there wants it, now is the time to throw your cash in the ring.

Remember that a new Wilton grinder is $3000, and you can get the entire shop for that. This is a good deal guys.

Back