Knife WIP (Part Two)

Daniel Macina

Just a quick update on my knife build I’ve been posting about. I ordered one of Ed’s sanding sticks a little while ago and it hasn’t come in yet and I was getting a little stir crazy wanting to get something done so I made up a sanding stick today and started hand sanding. Pictures coming tomorrow.

Do folks feel the sanding stick is better than the block. I have a precision made probably 2x 3 block that I use but sometimes feel it's too wide to get momentum.

I don’t know how others feel but all I had was a bar of steel lying around and it’s really pretty clunky to use I think I will enjoy the stick more. Plus it takes quite a bit of paper to wrap the block.

Do folks feel the sanding stick is better than the block. I have a precision made probably 2x 3 block that I use but sometimes feel it's too wide to get momentum.
I have one of Ed's sanding stick's. It works quite well. I had to change my technique a bit, but the change was definitely for the better. I still use a piece of dowel for tight corners. But for the vast majority of what I'm sanding now I use the sanding stick.

I have a 6 inch length of 3/4x3/4 hardwood that I wrap the paper round so that I can side it toward one end and slightly over by about 1/16-1/8 and run it into the plunge where the overlap works to clean up the the fat and the upstand at the same time. Side the ppaper to the other end and you have another fresh piece ready to go and then the center of the paper for long strokes the length of the blade. Turn the stick a 1/4 turn and there is a fresh fas=ce to work on so there is practically zero waste. I cut the sheet of W&D in 4 and have a drawer with the stacks of paper between dividers with the coarsest at the front so there is no accidental grit drop on the finer grades.

Well no pictures tonight had a much longer day at work then intended so I wasn’t able to get much done. This weekend for sure……

Love the sanding sticks! Saves time and materials! I cut standard Ryno-Wet sheets length wise 3 times (gives me 4 strips) then wrap them around the stick. You only use 3/4" (width) of the paper at a time! There also softer than metal sticks or blocks so Ed's is like backing the block with a piece of leather so they seem to cut quicker too. The length also gives you something to grab onto and reduces hand fatigue.

I have Ed’s sanding stick it works great on higher grits and detail sanding. For lower grits and more corse work I use a 14 inch long piece of 1x1 steel tube. I cut my sand paper 2 inches wide and wrap it aroung the center of the square tube securing it with a magnet. I sand until one side is spent then I turn the square tube 1/4 turn and go back to work. Once I have spent 3 sides I tear off that little piece and go back to work with three new sides. It works amazingly well and keeps your hands and fingers well away from the blade edge where stitches are waiting.

I agree. Even if it didn't break now, somewhere in the future it's gonna strike against something sharp, or drop and it will still crack through.
My own light hunter has cross grain olivewood handles and I laminated them to a thin (1/6) walnut backer and have been using it for my primary knife on the hill when hunting goats and it has field dressed 40 plus animals with no harm to the thin cross grained wood. I would not use cross grain without a laminated backing though

Just when you think you have it just about there……

You look in different lighting and……

NOPE!

Hahahaha!

I promise this WIP is coming to an end at some point. It Does keep me motivated though. Trying not to drag it out

Back