Knife show tips?

jkf96a

I think my brother and I are going to take the plunge and share a table at the Texas Knife Collectors Assn. show in Austin this March. Neither of us has ever done that kind of thing before. What tips do you guys have for how to have a successful first show?

I've only done a couple of knife only shows so take this with a grain of salt.
I tried to greet everyone that made eye contact. Just a friendly hello or how are ya.
I don't do dress up, but I did dress nicely. I don't own a pair of kahkis, I dress in starched jeans and a nice collard button up shirt, and cowboy boots. Same thing I wear every day, I just wore my Sunday go to meetin stuff.
Left out plenty of business cards, they may not have made a purchase at the show but I have had a bunch of contact afterwards.
Be yourself and be knowledgeable enough about your product and craft that you can give an intelligent answer. You and your brother don't need that advice, but I've seen guys that couldn't tell you why they chose a particular steel and what it's strong points were.

I use a black table cloth for my table and have a photo album that is hard bound made at Walmart. It's very nice and very cheap. I've had a ton of comments on how my table looked, I don't know if it sold any knives, but people were looking at that kind of thing.

Talk with other makers, I've picked up more friendships and tips from bsing with the other makers it isn't even funny. It may not make money at that show, but it's already paid off ten fold for me.

Youre gonna need a table covering of some kind

A calculator comes in very handy, as does a ruler or small tape measure

Have business cards, a receipt book

Wear comfortable shoes! :)

Try not to cram... Have all your knives done well before the show starts, not working on them the night before. It will make your life A LOT easier and the show more enjoyable!

I'll think of more later....

Here's a cut and paste from another related thread:

You just don't buy the knife, you buy the maker. It's a package deal.

I saw guys that apparently could care less about selling anything, let alone what they wore and sat the entire weekend.

I also saw guys that were on their feet and politely engaged folks as they walked by.

Do you have one of your own knives on your belt or in your pocket? Some did, some didn't. I used my my own beater I carry every day to describe what I was doing before (a whoppin' three months ago) and what had been done to improve on the design, finish, sheath, etc.

A guy stands there looking at three or four knives: pick it up, put it down, ask a question, ask the same question a different way, walks away, comes back. Then hands you one of your knives and pulls out his wallet, that's when the whole game changes. I felt a strong responsibility to look the man in the eye, re-introduce myself and firmly shake his hand. You don't just buy the knife, you buy the maker.

Good advise Bill. From a buyers perspective, the personality behind the table is about 50% of what holds you at the table for a few extra minuets. Next is your personal draw to a particular knife, then from seller, why this knife is different than the hundreds of knives at other tables. Whether your a maker or purveyor, the buyer has to have made some kind of connection to you, you need to hook them in.

Never done a show as a maker , but as a buyer , here are some things that annoyed me ( enuff to not make a purchase ).

*Never bag on another makers work , compare your work to your work , don't get into the "my work is better than XXX's work at 1/2 the price " tyrades.

*Be at the table. Seeing makers who were not at their table all weekend , or who werent there at all , but sent their sons , daughter or wives to sell for them. Makers do have to get away from their table from time to time , that is understood , but you should be at the table more often than not.
Years back I and some other makers had a long talk with Ken Onion about show etiquette , he was telling each of them , be at your table BEFORE the show opens , and after it closes. You paid for this temporary storefront , maximize your investment.

*Mark the knives with prices , customers who see knives without prices will assume the prices are too high. I don't want to have to ask the price of each knife I am interested in.

*Price them for what you are selling them for. I have seen makers , one the first day of the show say " this is normally $xxx , but everything is 10% off marked prices ".

* If the show is on till 5 , be there till 5 , don't bug out around 2pm. A few times I have headed back to a table to buy a knife I realized I still had enuff $$$ left for , only to find the maker packed up and left already.

* Shows are a great place to catch up with old friends , but don't let it cost you a sale. Huge crowds of your buds at the table may be cool if they are buying , but think of the new customers who are not able to get to the table to see your work.

*Don't show up at your table hungover and complaining. :)

* Don't sell out to dealers and special customers before the show even opens. This has happened two times at a show , from a maker I really wanted a shot at getting one of his knives. 2 times he was not only sold out before the doors opened , but wasn't even at his table , and most of the knives were already on a dealer table (indeed at a mark up). Hell why even get a table ?

You should! 2thumbs

I leave the shows to the real makers bro...2thumbs

some year I will be able to have enuff knives done to warrant getting a table , but it won't be anytime soon. I hoped to be able to do the Vegas show in 2010 , but due to stuff at home , I would be lucky to have 2 knives done for that show.

Back