Knife Making and being Disabled

Thanks guys. I needed the words of encouragement. I will prevail, this will not get me down. I love making knives too much to give it up. I will crawl to the bench before I pack it up. Once I get my kids to come around for a few hours we'll get the shop in order. They will never see it coming until they get here.....LOL!

Thanks guys. I needed the words of encouragement. I will prevail, this will not get me down. I love making knives too much to give it up. I will crawl to the bench before I pack it up. Once I get my kids to come around for a few hours we'll get the shop in order. They will never see it coming until they get here.....LOL!

That's the idea, Hey, While you are here? Can you give me a hand with this?????

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I blew a Lumbar disc in early '94 and suffered permanent damage to the Sciatic Nerve Roots. I know your pain.

Handles are keeping me very busy for now, but I'd like to make some knives in the future.

Problem is, I just can't sit and work. It throws me off somehow.
So I stand, sometimes for 5-8 hours, and pay for it afterwards.

It is possible though, so don't lose heart. :3:

Damn, we've got quite the Walking Wounded Crew here, don't we?
We shall all prevail!

Last edited:
Does anyone here take a blood thinner called Coumadin? I am having a cardioversion and my Doc put me on Coumadin and told me I absolutely couldn't play with pointy things or spinning machinery. I am very nervous that I will be on this drug forever and it will stop me before I ever really get started. My wife is disabled and I must be extra cautious to prevent any injury that will interfere with taking care of her and our life style. I just finished putting my shop together, gotten tools and supplies, and was looking forward to being able to make all the knives I have designed in my mind :( .

Teddy,
I personally have not had to take that medication but a good friend of mine did and made knives and a whole host of other crafts for many years.

I am not telling you to disregard your doctors concerns.
I am saying that with adequate safety equipment like gloves and a heavy shop apron and most importantly having our brains engaged, we can work around most any of our problems.

I am sure there are machinist's and others that work around spinning machines and pointy things.

Perhaps there is another medicine that your doctor can move you too that he would feel more comfortable with you knife making on?
Making sure you have a first aid kit in your shop is something we all should do.

Also, putting on the sharpen edge is the last thing I do before I put my logo on the finished knife.

Good luck, I am sure there is a away around this.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Teddy, I dont take Coumadin but I am on blood thinners. Right now I dont know the name of the drug. When I get cut it takes quite a while to get the bleeding to stop. Even a small cut bleeds heavily. I dont intend to stop making knives because of it. I just try to be careful. I have cut myself doing a variety of things. The only way to avoid it is to bury yourself in bubble wrap and go into hibernation.
I cant tell you what to do, but I wouldnt let the blood thinner stop me. Life on the couch just isnt that fun.

I wish I started making knives many many years ago. Youth is wasted on the young.

Does anyone here take a blood thinner called Coumadin? I am having a cardioversion and my Doc put me on Coumadin and told me I absolutely couldn't play with pointy things or spinning machinery. I am very nervous that I will be on this drug forever and it will stop me before I ever really get started. My wife is disabled and I must be extra cautious to prevent any injury that will interfere with taking care of her and our life style. I just finished putting my shop together, gotten tools and supplies, and was looking forward to being able to make all the knives I have designed in my mind :( .

Teddy I wouldn't tell you to tell your doctor to go take a flyin leap at the moon but, you know sometimes the advice is worse than the disease. I am one of the few who is allergic to Plavix. So my heart doctor put me on a .325mg aspirin a day! Now I know that is not Coumadin but, I bleed like a stuck pig when my dog scratches me with his claws. It is even worse when I am hot. The other day I went to the store and when I got home I noticed blood all up and down my arm and finally figured out, I had knocked a scab off of where the damn dog had scratched me two days before that. It bled so bad because I was hot.

I would do a little research on my own about the Coumadin and if nothing else be prepared. Have a well stocked first aid kit and know where it is located. From what I know about Coumadin and that is not a lot! You will bleed if injured and stopping it may be hard if you do not have proper bandages available, and if deep at all you will need emergency room care. However I kind of look at things that way now anyhow!

I am not going to post a bunch of info on the subject as you can do a Google search and find the info for yourself about Coumadin! Personally I would rather be on the aspirin, not near as many side effects.

Remember this you as a patient you have the right to tell the doctor that after researching the drug you do not want too take it. I am a chronic pain patient as well as a heart patient and have told my pain management doctor to stick his medicine where the sun don't shine! They put me on Methadone for pain and I was on it for about three days. I couldn't get out of the bed except to throw up and I told the doctor in no uncertain terms we were not doing this crap anymore.
He then tried to put me on duragesic patches. After doing some research I told him no way. One, I wasn't ready to die and I have grandchildren and if they was to get there little fingers under one of the patches while I was holding them, well it could cost them there life! He was not happy but I told him I was not going to go that route and if he couldn't treat me with something else I would find another doctor and "I did"!

Remember get informed and then you can have a informed discussion with your doctor about your concerns and there is always the option to finding another doctor. Most doctors when they find out you are informed will discuss it with you and let you make the decision and that is what truly treating the patient is all about. However there are doctors out there that will not comprise. They think there way, is the only way and with those type of doctors, it is usually a good time to get a second opinion! We all want too believe in our doctors but when you find yourself uncomfortable with the doctors treatment it is a good time to exercise your rights as a patient!!!!

Goldsmithy,
I will tell you what my heart doc told my wife after he told me he was starting on aspirin regimen AND bloodthinnerS(!),
He basically said that,'' Bloodthinners won't turn you into a hemophiliac!'' made her feel, well, not so intelligent. Ingest cut, scratched, all the time, usually blood like I got plenty to spare! BUT, it usually does stop! With pressure it aint like it will never stop, just keep some bandages out there, I make mine with a paper towel and electric tape, justbalways have, so I really never have thought of band aids, some of the liquid bandage stuff is good too! It may even stop the bleeding, it has an adhesive in it that makes it seal the wound, good stuff! Hope this helps, but ultimately the choice is yours! Just what I have experienced, and I have been on blood thinners and aspirin for a year and around 3 months now. So take it for what it's worth, but your Doc should be more informed, you may be able to find som info on Coumindin (sp), on line, just add bleeding to that word. Good luck, Rex

Thanks for the support guys. After I got done feeling sorry for myself, I started to figure out what I could do to protect myself. I have been spending my time researching protection. You would not believe the stuff that is out there. Here's how God takes care of me.

With gloves, both cut resistance and abrasion resistance are rated on a scale of 1 thru 5. I bought some gloves that were supposed to be 5's from Amazon. They came in at a 2 rating. I looked at the invoice and the company that sent them is located right here in Cincinnati. I was able to spend a lot of time talking to the safety experts personally. That's God's part....:)

Anyway, there have to be others in my situation. I am writing up my findings for a post on protection. I have bought Kevlar sleeves so I am protected all the way up to my shoulders. I got one pair of gloves, truly rated at a 5, and a pair of sleeves for under $30.00. These gloves are not like work gloves. They are tight fitting and allow almost full dexterity.

Today I will be trying to figure out procedures for testing the level 2 vs. the level 5 to find the differences in protection as there is a big difference in price. Also, how the coatings hold up to heat.

AAAAH...the sun is shining again. Thanks God... Teddy

Teddy, That great that you are proactive on solving this issue and found some safety equipment you are comfortable with.

Remember that the doc isn't the one that has to follow his own advise with a restricted life style. They also are all terrified of being sued.

If they can say they told you not to, Its not their fault when something goes wrong. Lots of the time they are covering their rear end.

Tell us more about these level 5 gloves for $30.00???

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hey Dawgs!
I am not having a great day today, and have a lot to do in the shop, feeling a bit Dow about it all, and then I re-read through a lot of these posts, inspirational is an understatement! I'm going to get my butt up and get to work, heck, I have got it good compared to a lot of other Dawgs on here!!!! Even thought the pain is about as bad as it has ever been, I think the weather is starting to effect me a lot more than it used to, which really gets me down. I have never attempted to talk about it like I am now, I tend to keep this kind of stuff to my self, but this is different,..., some how. I hope somebody knows what I mean!!!

I will say this is definitely an inspiration, that helps me get out the door!!!
Rex

Rex,
Glad you are feeling better.
Sometimes I just say to myself. "While I sure no one is around"
I hurt and feel like cr@ap, Then I start laughing and feel better! You have got to let it out!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

WOW!!!! I'm not the only beat up old man around here. I like the quote "had a lot of fun getting this way" - that's for sure. Too many motorcycle wrecks, bucked horses, and family history of bad backs... that coupled with cardiac issues. A few yr back a Doc looked at Xrays of my back and asked me what I'd done to it over the years! Thank the Lord, I'm not nearly as bad off as some of ya'll - there are times when I'm in constant pain for a few months, but most of time it's just "if it don't hurt, it don't work" low level.

Teddy, be sure you do post all the info - I'm on blood thinners plavix, etc and sure bleed a lot when I make knifes. I told my daughter the knife I made her was "Forged in Love, Tempered in blood" - seems like I tend to cut myself at least once on each knife. Not so often now, but for a while it was pretty often.

Hang in there - ya'll are a GREAT bunch of folks. I truly enjoy this forum and have learned a LOT from it.

Ken H>

Hi guys, it has been several months now since I completed a knife. I've done quite a bit of leather work over that same time period since I am able to do that completely sitting down. I really like working with leather, but it just isnt keeping me satisfied. I did try and work on a blade yesterday but after only a few minutes I was nearly unable to get back to the house. It seems as though every step I take is a new adventure in pain. I am working on getting my set up changed so that I can do more work sitting down. But until then it doesnt look like I will be making anything for a while yet.
Fortunately I have a number of sheathes and other things to make to keep me busy and make a little money.
Funny thing is...the money isnt even the reason I make knives. The smiles are. I live for the smiles.

Hi guys, it has been several months now since I completed a knife. I've done quite a bit of leather work over that same time period since I am able to do that completely sitting down. I really like working with leather, but it just isnt keeping me satisfied. I did try and work on a blade yesterday but after only a few minutes I was nearly unable to get back to the house. It seems as though every step I take is a new adventure in pain. I am working on getting my set up changed so that I can do more work sitting down. But until then it doesnt look like I will be making anything for a while yet.
Fortunately I have a number of sheathes and other things to make to keep me busy and make a little money.
Funny thing is...the money isnt even the reason I make knives. The smiles are. I live for the smiles.

Eric,
What ever it takes! Ask your sons or local ruffians to come by and help, you will provide the beer and some sandwiches. You can call the employment development office. There is a branch here at least called causal labor. A few stiffs that want to honestly make a few bucks usually. Being comfortable while working is very important and I suggest you don't try it anymore till you get things changed.
It will only make you and your attitude worse.

Carry on!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

wow ,there are allot more of us than thought. i had to "retire" last Nov. i am 56. one fake knee the other will in a couple years. neck and back fusions. just the badges of a life well lived. i am trying to get my shop adjusted for my self. let me know if anyone comes up with any good tips. true story when i was a kid we had a three legged pit bull . my grand dad raised walker hounds that he kept in a kennel that would make most prisons look like play grounds. one day he call us up to look at the new puppies and there they were 6 pit bull and hound puppies. my grand dad just laughed and said " guess there is always a way". so i guess we are the 3 legged pack, just give us time and we will figured it out. the old man also told us that we owed him 6000.00 for that set of pups. ho well.

Last edited:
sorry about the cornball story (it really is true) i hadn't slept in a couple days so i got kind of weird. i am interrested in any of the ways you have your shop to fit there needs. hope to hear some ideas

Gary

sorry about the cornball story (it really is true) i hadn't slept in a couple days so i got kind of weird. i am interrested in any of the ways you have your shop to fit there needs. hope to hear some ideas

Gary

My shop is small, so I have to be able to move things around when I need to use them. It is in my one car garage, it acted as my wood working shop for years before I got my back hurt and had to have surgery! I have a failed lower back fusion so lifting is not the best thing for me to do. So it was already a no brainer as my table saw and my planer were already on wheels. Practically everything except for my benches and my portable band saw (which is mounted to its own stand, and mounted to a bench),
Shop005.jpg
is on wheels in my shop! My anvil is another exception to the wheels thing but a dolly can be slid under the block it sits on, which makes it fairly easy to move if the need arises!
Shop008.jpg

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so it really seems to help with my grinder. When the weather is good I roll it outside and use the daylight really helps. My benches were constructed at a height that I could either stand comfortably at them or use a bar stool to sit when I get tired!

This is my forge/grinder cart.

Grindercart003.jpg

This cart has been an ever evolving thing and it will more than likely change again, when the need arises!:les:

Grindercart001.jpg

The forge has been updated since those photos to be run by PID and gas solenoids.

Forge006.jpg

My gas tanks for the forge have been moved to this cage I built for them. Where they are manifolded together. Once filled the entire cage can be picked up by running a dolly under it and they can be stored in a outside shed for safety concerns in the shop!

Forgecarrier004.jpg

I though I had a pic of my welder also but guess not but it is mounted to a dolly where it can be rolled around. So like I said pretty much anything that can be moved or needs to be moved is mounted on wheels in my shop. It helps with the space concerns of a small shop and it helps out the back as well!

Last edited:
Back