KNIFE EXCHANGE (KITH) Thread

opaul

Ok guys we are off to the exchange.
Here are the guidelines.
1. Be Safe
2. No kit knives.
3. Post pictures of your WIP (keeps everyone on their toes).
4. Make a knife that you would want to represent your signature style blade.
5. Folders, fixed blades, machetes, choppers, kitchen knives are fine!
6. If the knife you make would normally be associated with a sheath, then provide a sheath, leather is preferred but if your thing is kydex - kydex it will be.
7. Have fun.
8. Remarks and comments about the knives WIP are mandatory ( ;) ) just to keep things interesting and amusing.
9. Have your entries ready and ready to be shipped by NLT 12/01/18.

These are the names I have that committed. (Deadline on new entry is 8/4/18)
1. OPaul Bunch
2. Dennis Moreland
3. John Wilson
4. Daniez Macina
5. Ted Hauser
6. GeneK
7. Brandantr
8. Justin Preston
9. Luciusx5
10. MotorCity Mike
11. Kevin Zito
12. Kev
13. Chris Railey
14. Von Gruff
15. Self Made Knives
16. Scott Livesey

I'm thinking about assigning names to numbers and pulling the names out of the hat. Or do a random scramble of numbers and pick one number (associated with that name) and then it's sequential after that either ascending or descending.
What has been done in the past?

I’d love to be in but I cannot commit until I know when I’ll have my grinder. Would there be a late opt in? Almost like a reserve list? I honestly wouldn’t even expect a knife in return. I just want to make knives

I agree with the comments. We'll draw names just before the deadline. That way we know for sure whats in the pipe line.
I’d love to be in but I cannot commit until I know when I’ll have my grinder. Would there be a late opt in? Almost like a reserve list? I honestly wouldn’t even expect a knife in return. I just want to make knives

I'll put you on the reserve list.

I’m doing mine with an angle grinder only... gonna be special lol.

Edit: I’m a little worried about fitting the guard, but I’m gonna prop on my drill press and then I’ll just solder the gaps.

I’m doing mine with an angle grinder only... gonna be special lol.

Edit: I’m a little worried about fitting the guard, but I’m gonna prop on my drill press and then I’ll just solder the gaps.

I would suggest buying pre-slotted guard material. Then buy blade material thicker than the slot. That's not cheating- that's how you do it when you don't have the tools. Unless you just want to prove you can make a guard, in which case good luck to you. But IMO, there's plenty of other things to challenge yourself on. Shaping the guard and fitting it up to the shoulders and handle are plenty challenging. Cutting a slot with manual hand tools is not what makes a knifemaker. You can make two knives in the time it takes to do that. Should every knifemaker do it? Yeah...once. But not when there's a deadline.

Back