Knife #9 complete!!!

Mike Jones

Google Master
I finally finished my grinder, so I felt okay about doing this knife. It's my first hollow grind with about a 7.5" contact wheel. This is the knife from the other thread, I just thought it might be easier to start a new one.

Specs are:
1084 steel blade
1/8" brass pins
Hollow ground
Spalted Maple Burl handle (from Burl Source)
4.5" blade length
~9" overall
Scotchbrite satin finish from 600 grit.

Please let me know of any improvements that I need to do for future knives. Thanks!

hpim1851e.jpg

hpim1852.jpg

hpim1855.jpg

Looking good Mike!

This is what I was told when I first started....

..."now go make another"

goodjob1.

good job mike!

i never did see your finished grinder tho :(

how much time did you save with the grinder :)

good job buddy

jake

Thanks Bill. I have to make a sheath for this one next... :(

Jake, I never posted my finished grinder :p
I didn't save too much time, but the quality is waaay better. For one thing, I had belts up to 400 grit, instead of 120 on my HF 1x30 2guns

Here's a pic of my grinder:
hpim1856.jpg

Mike,
Way to stick with it Bro !! Your officially ON YOUR WAY !

Don't fear the leather work you've got all the resources available right here at the KnifeDogs. Begin by reading the tutorial on BossDog's personal website and follow that up with reading the tutorials posted in the Sheath section. You'll come away with a basic guide to get you going and help you figure out what questions you need to ask.

Just like making knives there is a learning curve involved but after the first one the areas where you need work will show themselves clearly.

Don't hesitate to utilize the expertise of our sheathmaker Mods by posting questions.

And.... That is a SWEET grinder !

-Josh

Nice job on that blade and Great grinder. Keep on keepin.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Josh, I've already been reading every tutorial I can on working leather.

Doing good Lil' Mikey.ride safe

Glad to see I'm not the only one that call's you Mikey . Do you have a flat platen assembly for that new grinder ? If not you need to get one . I believe you already know where you need to improve , so get busy . Be careful on washing out your grind lines . Nice job on that handle profile .

Glad to see I'm not the only one that call's you Mikey . Do you have a flat platen assembly for that new grinder ? If not you need to get one . I believe you already know where you need to improve , so get busy . Be careful on washing out your grind lines . Nice job on that handle profile .

I don't have a flat platen yet... I'm still debating whether to make its own tool arm or to make a rotating contact wheen flat platen slack belt assembly. but it's on my to do list.

Back