KMG motors?

I love my file jig! It works great and I have plans to build another to fix a couple problems that I had. It will be a little bit before I buy a grinder but when I do it will be a 2x72 so I only buy 1 and cry once!

aluminum VS steel for the body and frame, good grief guys, this is a sander, not an automobile or forging press. Lots of 2x72 use cold rolled steel because it is cheaper than 6061 aluminum and you can drill and tap, don't need to do inserts. If the arm is going to be used as a tool rest, you can use thin wall tube for your arms. solid aluminum or steel tooling arms may look neat, but they are overkill. As far as replacing bearings in a HF4x36, I would not want to spend much time replacing bearings in an $80 machine.
I bought a Wilmont LB1000 "long Block" for a grinder. add a motor and go. all the motors, VFDs, electrical pieces and wire, extra tooling arm, tool rest, and knife steel were all bought after shopping and finding the best price.

Just remember Grasshopper, "all that glitters is not gold"!

Or what I told my children, "its not your wants that matter, it is your needs that matter"!! There is something to be said for starting out without a grinder, your mistakes are usually not near as bad, with a file and sandpaper as when the grinder is turning a 36 grit belt at high speed!! Don't ask how I know that one!!! :rolleyes::D

I started with a big box of files. you would be surprised what you can do with 12" or 14" bastar* mill file once you learn how to draw file. For me the hobby is making knives that cut well and feel right, not about accumulating "Name" tools.

Back