KITH help Tang hole drilling

I almost always use a spacer behind the guard. Whether its copper or g10 or micarta. But there usually thin spacers like .020" to .040" thick
bh3.jpg
This 1 has a black g10, copper, then another piece of black g10.

I am also not sure if I am going to embellish the wood handle. Can colored knife spacers ( which I think are are form of plastic ) go between the wood handle and the guard, or does that compromise the stability of the knife?

Absolutely you can put spacers in!! Many Makers do. The Drop point hunter I just finished I put Red/White/Red spacer in. Once its all glued up unless you use a brittle material should be fine. Look at some other Makers knifes for ideas. I think the spacers look really good. LOL Jason beat me!!

I almost always use a spacer behind the guard. Whether its copper or g10 or micarta. But there usually thin spacers like .020" to .040" thick
View attachment 70645
This 1 has a black g10, copper, then another piece of black g10.
Oh nice, thanks for the beautiful picture also. I felt it needed a little transition but didn’t want to use to different species of wood.

Last edited:
Absolutely you can put spacers in!! Many Makers do. The Drop point hunter I just finished I put Red/White/Red spacer in. Once its all glued up unless you use a brittle material should be fine. Look at some other Makers knifes for ideas. I think the spacers look really good. LOL Jason beat me!!
Perfect I was going to go with the red also because I thought blood red would be appropriate with the Bowie theme. Thank you. I feel like I have a plan again. What could go wrong?

My new favorite quote is:

Do you know the difference between making a knife and being a Knifemaker? A Knifemaker knows how to fix his screwups!!
Or when you've gone past the point of no return. It happens to everyone, if you don't have a drawer, or a bucket full of rejects you're not trying hard enough. It doesn't matter how many hours you have into a knife if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Back