KITH help Tang hole drilling

Mark Barone

This has been tough for me, but I am following the rules By at least doing the best I can. It’s a Gents Bowieish design , OAL will probably be about 11 inches. I opted not to do the clip point. I couldn’t get the wedge down. It’s Alabama Damascus. Heat treated and final sanding before acid etch was 600 grit. 50/50 Ferric and Apple Cider Vinegar for 45 minutes. Then lightly sanded with 1000 grit. I think I will go with this iron wood for the handle.

Something about the guard doesn’t seem right. Maybe because the handle is not on it yet. I wanted it to be a little more of a narrow oval, but then it seemed like the handle would be too thin. Right now the guard 7/8 inch wide at the center of the oval. It’s also Damascus. Maybe I should do some file work around the guard. Any comments or advice, critical or not always appreciated.

5516B430-7C59-42CD-BF0E-44262387EB4A.jpeg

I really like the blade shape. I think you're right, the guard may be a bit wide- it could also be the angle of the photo though. Maybe mark it off with a Sharpie at 3/4" wide and see what you think?

From the photo it looks more circular than oval. Have you considered making a mock up handle to help with visuals?
I just checked my Bowie and the handle is 3/4” wide x 1-1/4” high directly behind the guard. If that helps any.

I don't know how thick your blade is but I usually have like 3/8th of guard on both sides of the blade if that makes sense. But the size can change some depending on the type of guard you are making.
Its also hard to tell what your guard looks like from that 1 pic.

Thanks I think it is best I make the handle up and see how it all looks together. I can always shave it a bit down later

From the photo it looks more circular than oval. Have you considered making a mock up handle to help with visuals?
I just checked my Bowie and the handle is 3/4” wide x 1-1/4” high directly behind the guard. If that helps any.

It is oval , thanks your measurements do help.

I'm not one to say anything because I've struggled with guards myself. Most of the guards I've seen are shaped similar to an upside down water drop (for lack of better words) or more oval than round. What I did was go to images of knives and look at them. Take my input for what it's worth! Blade looks awesome!! I wish I could get a finish like that on the few Demascus blades I've done!!

I do not make many blades with guards but to my eye, the spine side of the guard may look better flush with the spine of the blade. The sides could be brought in a little and the "edge" side of the guard maybe more narrow. Really just like what was said above, a teardrop shape. In the end it is your project so its what looks good to you. I find it helpful to use a sharpie and color the material I intend to remove black to see what it would look like before I start grinding. I will say this, that blade looks awesome I cannot wait to see the finished product.

I'm not one to say anything because I've struggled with guards myself. Most of the guards I've seen are shaped similar to an upside down water drop (for lack of better words) or more oval than round. What I did was go to images of knives and look at them. Take my input for what it's worth! Blade looks awesome!! I wish I could get a finish like that on the few Demascus blades I've done!!

I think the water drop is a good shape. I keep getting stuck on worrying it will be too small and the wood of the handle will overlap the guard. I made some small Damascus jewelry pieces so got some practice in. I just do the 50/50 mix and make sure the piece is at least 400 grit with a consistent finish before etching. I clean with alcohol. Even if there are 400 grit scratch lines, they seem to eat away with the 45 minute soak. Then I just clean really good with first baking soda water and then scrub the piece until i don’t get any black on a dry white paper towel. Then I lightly hit it 1000 grit until I see the raised area shine.

I’m having difficulty drilling out the handle to accept the tang. I bought long 1/8 inch bits but they are bogging down once I get passed the cutting part of the blade. They are heating up, probably because the chips have no way to get out. What else could I be doing wrong? I was going to drill 3 holes and file the rest out. I don’t have a broach. If that’s what is called.

I’m having difficulty drilling out the handle to accept the tang. I bought long 1/8 inch bits but they are bogging down once I get passed the cutting part of the blade. They are heating up, probably because the chips have no way to get out. What else could I be doing wrong? I was going to drill 3 holes and file the rest out. I don’t have a broach. If that’s what is called.

I can appreciate this!! I drilled the holes didnt have a broach ended up filing a lot of it out with needle files (only thing I had that would fit). After about 2 hrs of filing i stopped and made a broach from an old 1/8" blade I messed up! 10 minutes later it was done!!

I think the water drop is a good shape. I keep getting stuck on worrying it will be too small and the wood of the handle will overlap the guard
I understand your worry now. I am not very experienced at hidden tangs but to me maybe get your handle shaped the way you want it and then worry about your guard shape because you are right, you will not be able to add material back to the guard if the handle ends up fatter than the guard.

If you peck drill and pull the bit all the way out everytime that should get rid of the chips. Also turn the block upside down and knock the stuff out of it and drill some more
I was doing that but I think I need a bit that has cutting blades longer than the hole I need. The bit is 6 inches long but 4 inches of 1/8 solid rod and only 2 inches blade. I also knock the stuffing out. Also blowing into helps get it into your eyes.

I can appreciate this!! I drilled the holes didnt have a broach ended up filing a lot of it out with needle files (only thing I had that would fit). After about 2 hrs of filing i stopped and made a broach from an old 1/8" blade I messed up! 10 minutes later it was done!!

That was creative with the handmade broach. I should have just made a full tang Bowie. But since the blade came out pretty well I’m not giving up.

I am also not sure if I am going to embellish the wood handle. Can colored knife spacers ( which I think are are form of plastic ) go between the wood handle and the guard, or does that compromise the stability of the knife?

Back