KITH for Austin Thrasher

I’m using an OBM 2x72 grinder. I had the stock platen that I used for a while but I recently swapped it out for a KMG platen. The KMG offers substantially more room to get around the sides of the platen and the backer itself is thicker and heavier. Here are a couple pics of my set up.

Is the grinder variable speed....like with a VFD?

Also, putting a piece of glass over that platen will help a lot.

I also wanted to mention.....there is a place and time for softer platen backers and low grit gator belts.....but you want to be careful there. They can wash out crisp lines and grinds and give deceiving results that can create problems down the road.

I'd like to politely encourage everyone to try to correct and minimize mistakes, especially in the area of basic knife fundamentals, rather than figure out ways to hide them.

Don't get me wrong, there comes a time when its appropriate to attempt to hide mistakes and flaws too, I just dont feel that time is with the fundamentals of a good knife.

Directed at no one in particular.

there is a place and time for softer platen backers and low grit gator belts.....but you want to be careful there. They can wash out crisp lines and grinds and give deceiving results that can create problems down the road.
Good advice, thanks! I sure can see where a soft backing would erode crisp lines. But, how/ why does a gator belt compromise crisp lines?

Is the grinder variable speed....like with a VFD?

Also, putting a piece of glass over that platen will help a lot.
The grinder is run through a VFD. It’s mounted on the back wall just out of the picture. I’ve heard of people using glass in their platen but had yet to really research it. How are they mounted? Epoxied on? What about thickness and is there a type of glass that should be used?

Good advice, thanks! I sure can see where a soft backing would erode crisp lines. But, how/ why does a gator belt compromise crisp lines?

The coarser grits can do it for the same reason....the grit on those belts is deep and it can be "spongy" so if you're not careful, you can wash out lines or get a bevel going that isnt really flat.

The grinder is run through a VFD. It’s mounted on the back wall just out of the picture. I’ve heard of people using glass in their platen but had yet to really research it. How are they mounted? Epoxied on? What about thickness and is there a type of glass that should be used?

Yep just epoxied on. I'd use JB Weld.

A lot of Ace Hardware stores sell glass and will cut it to size. It's only a few bucks. You want tempered glass. You can use any plate glass but it will crack easily if it's not the right kind.

I use the tempered amber colored glass for fireplace doors. You can also check at places that sell fireplaces and also any glass shops.

You'll hear about guys beveling the edges or tops, or having to alter their plates. I haven't found any of that to be necessary. My belts bump out over my glass platen but I haven't found it causes any issues.

With the vfd you should be able to easily see if your chatter is caused by a speed/pressure issue.

I’m using an OBM 2x72 grinder. I had the stock platen that I used for a while but I recently swapped it out for a KMG platen. The KMG offers substantially more room to get around the sides of the platen and the backer itself is thicker and heavier. Here are a couple pics of my set up.
I know what's wrong....your shop is way too neat !

So, I just bought a 2x42 to replace my crappy old 1x30 (not gonna make blades, just handle shaping) and have been looking at advice for glass platens etc. Here is some on USA's site: https://usaknifemaker.com/ceramic-glass-platen-liner-for-flat-platen.html
Seems like you shouldn't use just any tempered glass, but the right type. Also several things I saw stressed the importance of a a shelf or support under the bottom edge of that glass so that when the tape/glue you put it on with lets go, you have have a chance of getting the machine turned off before it becomes shards of glass flying all over the shop.
1602032652153.png
Another source on Ebay

PS... Wear safety glasses please!

Last edited:
Some progress made on Austin’s KITH. I’ve decided the blade is going to be black, black G10 scales, copper liners and copper pins! I can’t wait to get it finished!

Attachments

• A9575512-7EEB-41E1-A672-CAC836A68356.jpeg
    A9575512-7EEB-41E1-A672-CAC836A68356.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
@Nick Schreiber If it’s not too late to make a handle request, I’m really liking the texturing you do on some of the knives you have posted in your photo gallery. I’d love to have that style handle on my KITH blade!

Well.... it’s done. This knife fought me the whole way. The copper liners and pins turned out to be easy to work with because it’s soft material. That was also what made it difficult to work with! The stuff gets hot, and FAST! I got my scales glued up and I let it all set for a couple days before I started working it again. When I started grinding the pins down my epoxy started boiling because the pins got so hot! Not something I anticipated! Oh well. Adapt and overcome! I’ll be honest, I’m not completely happy with the result but it is the best I could make it. Seemed like every time I would make a little mistake, I would make another mistake trying to chase the first one. It’s not as pretty cosmetically as I wanted it to be but I had to tell myself that I made it so it could be used! I can tel you the thing is damn sharp and will perform as I intended it to! Austin, I hope you like it and you cut through steaks, roasts, ribs, etc, with ease!

Attachments

• 333EA666-0DE8-4161-BA8A-F8B973E793F1.jpeg
    333EA666-0DE8-4161-BA8A-F8B973E793F1.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 14
  • 0239AA29-C1D0-42F3-9385-1E9AF3F5B9B5.jpeg
    0239AA29-C1D0-42F3-9385-1E9AF3F5B9B5.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 95BA025E-0B80-4D5D-8BB0-603A0ECD993F.jpeg
    95BA025E-0B80-4D5D-8BB0-603A0ECD993F.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 26C2662F-BBF8-46CE-A731-EECED13B83AC.jpeg
    26C2662F-BBF8-46CE-A731-EECED13B83AC.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 17
  • C583BF08-9797-4775-9818-903E0E0FB754.jpeg
    C583BF08-9797-4775-9818-903E0E0FB754.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 16
Well.... it’s done. This knife fought me the whole way. The copper liners and pins turned out to be easy to work with because it’s soft material. That was also what made it difficult to work with! The stuff gets hot, and FAST! I got my scales glued up and I let it all set for a couple days before I started working it again. When I started grinding the pins down my epoxy started boiling because the pins got so hot! Not something I anticipated! Oh well. Adapt and overcome! I’ll be honest, I’m not completely happy with the result but it is the best I could make it. Seemed like every time I would make a little mistake, I would make another mistake trying to chase the first one. It’s not as pretty cosmetically as I wanted it to be but I had to tell myself that I made it so it could be used! I can tel you the thing is damn sharp and will perform as I intended it to! Austin, I hope you like it and you cut through steaks, roasts, ribs, etc, with ease!
Bro! That looks super sweet! I am stoked to get this one in hand and use it!

Back