KITH 2019 WIP

Bruce McLeish

Well, seeing how I may be the worlds slowest knife maker (and i use the term knife maker very loosely ) I started on the Bowie. It is 3/16" 1084 steel, OAL 9 1/4", widest point is 1 1/2 ". Yes that is blood on the blade! I will continue to update and ask for any comments ( good, bad, or indifferent) as I progress. BJDSC01332.JPG

Well, seeing how I may be the worlds slowest knife maker (and i use the term knife maker very loosely ) I started on the Bowie. It is 3/16" 1084 steel, OAL 9 1/4", widest point is 1 1/2 ". Yes that is blood on the blade! I will continue to update and ask for any comments ( good, bad, or indifferent) as I progress. BJView attachment 69399
Already blooded the blade!! You ARE getting an early start! Nice lines btw...

Can you say push stick. ;)
I actually did the same thing about a month ago. Thank goodness it wasn’t the Delta bandsaw I use for wood. I also use a foot peddle on the metal bandsaw.
I can say "push thumb" ! Good idea on the foot pedal. I'll take it off my foredom tool and put it on the bandsaw. ( I'll also use a push stick per your very wise advice. Thanks.)

I guess the answer is that because I grind by hand ( using files ),I file a little, check how it looks, file some more and make any adjustments as I go. Does that answer your question?

I guess the answer is that because I grind by hand ( using files ),I file a little, check how it looks, file some more and make any adjustments as I go. Does that answer your question?
It does. I have a 2 x 72 grinder but I'm thinking of doing the swedge on mine with files. I don't feel that I have enough control as yet with my grinder.

If you are gonna use files , you have to pay attention to keep them from slipping and running down the edge. It will seriously ruin your day , not to mention the edge of your blank.

If you are gonna use files , you have to pay attention to keep them from slipping and running down the edge. It will seriously ruin your day , not to mention the edge of your blank.
I can imagine. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip

Back