Kirinite! And my first 2 dedicated kitchen knives!

BRad704

Both started as .125 440c. Flat ground with convex edges. Heat treat by Peter's..

8" chef
Black paper bolster and desert Ironwood with g10 spacers. Carbon fiber pins.

7.5" santoku
Lava flow kirinite scales with c.f. pin and another hidden pin.

I LOVED working the kirinite. It cuts like butter on the bandsaw, grinds quickly and polishes SUPER easily. The only thing about grinding is that heat builds quickly and it will gum up on you. Easily fixed, but something to be aware of.

both1.jpg
both2.jpg
chefblade.jpg
handle.jpg
santokublade.jpg
santokuhandle.jpg

Cool,
I like both of those.
The first time I worked the Lava flow kirinite I was puzzled by the shadows and translucent look it has. At first I thought I had gotten it too hot and messed it up somehow until I got to the final grits and I could see them more clearly.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Good looking knives Brad ! I'm diggin the micarta and ironwood. Those materials really all work well together.

-Josh

Thanks guys! I couldn't be more excited about these 2!

The chef was a special order of sorts for a friend of mine. It will be his girlfriends Christmas present and he gave me carte blanche to do whatever I wanted on an 8" chef style.

The santoku will live at my girlfriends house. There are a few places where the large flat has a depression/divot because off leaning too hard on the corner of the platen by accident. I finally reached a point where I felt like I was going to ruin the whole thing if I kept chasing them. Doesn't affect the cutting at all, just visual flaws that bother me.

Both of then cut so amazingly well! I've never used a custom kitchen knife, or even a "really good" production knife, but I know these blow the Walmart-specials out of the water. :)

Thanks guys! I couldn't be more excited about these 2!

The chef was a special order of sorts for a friend of mine. It will be his girlfriends Christmas present and he gave me carte blanche to do whatever I wanted on an 8" chef style.

The santoku will live at my girlfriends house. There are a few places where the large flat has a depression/divot because off leaning too hard on the corner of the platen by accident. I finally reached a point where I felt like I was going to ruin the whole thing if I kept chasing them. Doesn't affect the cutting at all, just visual flaws that bother me.

Both of then cut so amazingly well! I've never used a custom kitchen knife, or even a "really good" production knife, but I know these blow the Walmart-specials out of the water. :)

Brad,

Constant vigilance is the only way to prevent those divots. I round the corners just a tad on the platen and always keep the pressure in the middle as you make your grinding passes.

I think you can safely say that these two culinary knives are a couple of notches better than the junk at Walmart! :biggrin:

Just give the knife as a gift to your girlfriend. Even if she doesn't cook. Things work better that way and you can always make another one.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

These long blades require SO much more attention and perseverance than small blades. There's just so much surface to look out for, and so much room for errors to occur. I doubt I'll do any more of these anytime soon.

The santoku is on her counter right now... part of her actual Christmas gift will a large custom cutting board to use it on. :)

Thanks Keith. Time will tell, but I'm more excited about doing some linerlocks over the next month or so.

Back