Kimmi's Cutlery Photos

Here’s one I just finished the handle on. The blade is 1084 and it has clear stabilized maple burl for the handle. It’s ready for a sheath and sharpening.

Thanks for the compliments. I really like this maple burl.

I finished the sheath up for this one today. I usually don't do much detail work on sheaths, mainly because I'm not that good at it. On this one, I experimented some to see if I could get a pattern to match the maple burl handle.

I finished the sheaths for the hidden tang file knives These are the first sheaths for a guarded knife that I've made.

I finished this one up today. It's a 1084 blade with deer antler for the handle. Now for a sheath.

The customer for this one wanted a simple display stand for it. This is what I came up with.

Wow, really beautiful stuff Gene! The wood of the first knives are really something, but so is the contrast of the damascus on the last knife. Looks really great.

Here are some final pictures of the San Mai knife and the sheath I finished today. The tooling on this sheath isn't perfect, but I'm getting better at it.

I love everything about that, Gene. The walnut is crazy beautiful and hamon in the blade is awesome. I'm not sure why you think the leatherwork isn't perfect because it looks that way to me. I really like the understated tooling and the randomness of the pattern.

Thanks John. Some of the lines in the tooling don't flow like I wanted them to. I don't have an artistic side, so i always question myself on stuff like this.

I got this one all finished except for sharpening. This is my paring knife design out of 15N20. It has a plungeless grind and is .050" thick at the spine. The handle is quilted maple that is dyed violet and stabilized with a stabilized and dyed black curly maple bolster and white G10 liners and spacer.

This is a knife that I am donating for a raffle at our church's fall luau.

Gene, First off WOW!! I cant believe the amount and quality put out in a year!! I have a question though, I see you number your blades how do you change etch for every blade??

Gene, First off WOW!! I cant believe the amount and quality put out in a year!! I have a question though, I see you number your blades how do you change etch for every blade??

I have them laser engraved by a local business. I think any negatives are outweighed by being able to have anything engraved on the knife. And customers seem to like having the knives numbered.

Very nice raffle knife! Great finish and color combo. On the laser engraving, it looks very crisp. If I were to search my local area for someone that does this, what kind of laser would they need to have to do such a clean job on steel?

Very nice raffle knife! Great finish and color combo. On the laser engraving, it looks very crisp. If I were to search my local area for someone that does this, what kind of laser would they need to have to do such a clean job on steel?

Thanks Mike. I'm not really up to date on the laser types, but I think a fiber laser is best. The people I go to have a 40W, I believe. You'll want to find one powerful enough to engrave into the steel. Before I had any done, I took samples to have done. I then took these and sanded over the etch with 400 grit. I did over 80 passes over the etch, switching to new paper every 10 or so, before the etch lightened enough that it was hard to see.

Sorry, just thought of one more question on laser engraving. Did you use an etch before and if you did, do you find the laser is sharper or more crisp? Thanks

Back