KD Awards polls are open

I'm glad to see that these awards are still going strong in 2015. Some great stuff this year.
Putting on my voting hat. :3:

Erin

Thanks Calvin nothing like getting right to the point. It would be nice to see more people vote after all we try to make these awards open to everyone. Nobody can complain that they didn't have the chance to vote

John,
Voter apathy.
They don't mind asking for help or reading all the post to get educated about Knifemaking and look at the voting results but won't take the time to vote.
Here is some motivation for all you apathetic members,YALL GET YOUR LAZY BUTTS OVERE THERE AND VOTE !!!!:biggrin:

Well said, Calvin. And I think you're exactly right. :thumbup:

Voter apathy seams to run amuck , by failing to vote one tends to dishonor those nominated and disrespect for the institutions created for the benefit of others.

Well, I have to dis-agree with Calvin on this - it's not just voter apathy..... I just can't decide!!! I know I've got to decide, but it's so hard with so many good makers! :les: OK, I'll toss a coin :35:

Ken H>

Thanks guys for voting, its soon time to close the polls. I'm going to shut them down on the 7th of Feb.

I do sympathize with the members struggling to pick a knife in some categories. I had to go back to a few threads a number of times before I could choose. However if you don't pick soon your chance is gone until next year.

Well, I have to dis-agree with Calvin on this - it's not just voter apathy..... I just can't decide!!! I know I've got to decide, but it's so hard with so many good makers! :les: OK, I'll toss a coin :35:

Ken H>

Ken,
Im sure it's not apathy on your part and I'm sure that some others are in the same boat with you but for the most part it is apathy. I guarantee if there were a valuable prize drawing being given away daily to those that vote there would be mass participation. But since there should not be prizes awarded for voting I'll try motivating members to vote.
As the reigning Top Dog I'll say this in my best Drill Seargent voice. YOU BUNCH OF FREELOADERS GET OFF YOUR LAZEY BEHINDS AND GO VOTE ! :biggrin:

Calvin - I'm sure you're right about the apathy in many cases. I know I had such a hard time deciding, and in many cases it did come down to almost just flipping a coin. Looking at all the offerings it easy to see where I've learned so much, and still not up to the par of ya'll in knife making. Great site, Great folks!!!

Ken H>

What is everyone being chastised for not voting on???

I may be missing something but I have several times now to look at this thread entitled "KD Award Polls, are open but I see no nominees or anything to vote on!

Is there another thread that the actual voting goes on in? If so how is it tittled an in what section is it???? Is this just for paying members?? Is there something wrong with my PC. I am a little confused, can't vote on something I don't see!

i had the same problem. you have to go to the list of forums and scroll down. the poll threads don't show up in your feed or under new posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there another thread that the actual voting goes on in?

Here is a link. The current polls are the 2015 stickies at the top of the page.

http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?136-KnifeDogs-Choice-Awards

The ones unaware of the threads completely aren't the issue. It's the hundreds and hundreds of views but only 30 votes that were the concern. Though Calvin's 'barking' seems to have inspired a flurry of recent activity. Way to go Calvin! :)

John is exactly right the views to votes is the concern. If your viewing the thread it only takes a second to click and vote. In all seriousness we have started threads, asked people to see if we are doing something wrong. So if anyone wants to express their opinion on how to improve the awards by all means send me a PM. We have gotten some good feed back and would like to change a few things next year.

I guess I look at the lack of votes a bit differently. The fact that so many view the threads tells me that people are interested in the awards, the knives, the members, the process, whatever. That is a good thing for everyone involved. The interest level is there. Just look at the number of views.

The fact that there are fewer votes than views tells me that some viewers are just apprehensive about voting for whatever reason. Maybe, they just don't want to pick a "best of the best" or they feel unqualified in choosing/voting. That is not necessarily a bad thing, remember, they clicked on that thread because they had an interest in the knives, the makers and the awards. Another reason may be a voter returned to check on the thread later and could not vote again. More views, less votes. Not necessarily a bad thing. All we can do is encourage members to vote. If they wish to do so, they most certainly may vote. If they choose not to vote for whatever reason, so be it. I'm good with that.

I have said it before, but Brad, Beth and Bossdog - thank you for putting these on KD and for all your time invested in making these awards successful. I greatly appreciate it. I'm sure other members do also.

DeMo

Dont let this be the only place on the internet where people are afraid to voice an opinion and make a choice! Its very disheartening as a knifemaker to see a thread with hundreds of views and only 30 votes.

This is a safe place, there are no wrong choices!

Dont let this be the only place on the internet where people are afraid to voice an opinion and make a choice! Its very disheartening as a knifemaker to see a thread with hundreds of views and only 30 votes.

This is a safe place, there are no wrong choices!

Well said!

First things first, thank you to John Doyle. Now that I am caught up on the who, what, when and where, I must say this is a tough one, I have received good advice from all! But I think one has a hand in more of the workings of this site so to say so................... I voted how I feel!

So now John offered up the link we all know where to go. So what is your excuse???

Last week for voting, I'm closing the polls on the 7th.

Thanks guys for getting the word out. Some polls have a 10% votes to views, we can do better

Last edited:
Back