Just an Old Guy, Old to Knives but New to Collecting

The Burgh

Thanks for having me here!

I am, in no particular order, semi-retired (as my Dad put it, "Walk half way to work, then return home.), a lifelong collector of old things, a guy who tries to help in my communities, a new Grandfather, an avid .22LR target shooter, a volunteer range officer at our local non-profit shooting range, and a lost soul, dazed and confused by modern times (like most generations before me).

Knives: Taught by my machinist (43 years) Father to love hunting, fishing and simple time in the woods. As a result, was taught to "honor" knives, guns and fishing equipment with proper purchase, use, maintenance and storage. Didn't know it then, but also taught the value of "handmade" - heck, everything of value was then handmade.

Started acquiring better production flippers but found no genuine, deep, long term satisfaction after 12 or so knives. Started researching, reading and viewing handmade fixed knives. My collecting nerves were struck! Now buying those handmade fixed blades (undyed wood, blades <4"), trying to assemble one each of the best looking (to me) woods, preferably bladed with a variety of patterned damasci. Want to pass along to my Sons, then grandchildren, handmade works of purposeful, usable art made in the USA by a few craftsmen with trees and metal in a wide variety of styles, shapes and colors. Still learning with passion and trying to get to know more knifemakers.

Ending it here at the beginning.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME HERE!

Welcome Burgh to KD and glad to see those who appreciate fine handmade things as yourself. Hope you find satisfying blades here to pass down.

Paul

Back