Jimping after the fact

J

jdkno

I assume this would go here as it would be considered a mod. If not mods please feel free to move and accept my apologies for wrong placement.

Is it possible to add jimping to a knife that has already been heat treated? If so is there a special type of file that would be needed to do this?

That'll do her. if you plan to test the theory, get a few crap knives from flea mkt, mark the area you plan to do with a fine sharpie and get a feel for depth and stroke using the dremel type rotary tool before you have at a knife you plan to keep..

Thanks guys.

Luckily over the years I have picked up a few knives that I could care less about so that saves me a trip to the flea market lol.

I had to to that on a knife that had a flaw. I got a carbide hacksaw blade used for tile. Cost about $5.

It looks like this...
dedf4faf-1af5-4326-a7bd-936d25e88c3e_300.jpg

It cut some nice grooves in hardened CPM154. I cleaned them up with some sandpaper on a small file. Worked like a charm!!

Great suggestions!2thumbs

A round or regular shaped Carbide tile blade for a Hacksaw, and a small Abrasive cutoff wheel would indeed work great!

Small abrasive cut off wheels are very versatile, and can create lots of possibilities if you give it some thought.

Just a suggestion:

A small bench top mini saw can be set up W a some what thin abrasive wheel, (always run safe speeds!:eek:) then you just place the non tapered flat tang, W the edge of the spine down against the table and the flat of tang against the pre squared up table guide bar then just ease the steel into the pre height set Wheel . . .

Well I dug through my tool box and found a brand new 1/8" carbide bit for my dremel. I plan to try it out over the weekend as family comitments have consumed me over the last 2 weeks or so.

I had thought about a cutoff wheel but the dremel wheels are sooo fragile they will snap if you look at them wrong.

I figured something in the dremel catagory would work I just did not know how it would work on heat treated steel.

I guess I will post a pic of the results when I am done to help any future searches out.

Thanks again guys.

I've done it to several of my knives 440c and whatnot with a dremel cutoff wheel. It works great, and I'm satisfied with the results.

I would try to make a jig of some type. If you just grab a dremel with a cut off wheel and have at it by hand, odds are it's going to look like someone had at a knife with a dremel tool and cut off wheel which is usually pretty bad.

I've free-hand done it a few times and it always looks pretty close to something 'factory.' If you have a steady hand and good cut-off wheels, shouldn't be a problem making it look nice.

Back