I need some inspiration

AkWildman

So a coworker up here on the slope who also has been a great customer has been ill for some time and is I'm need of a kidney transplant.He has been out of work for a while and on dialysis. A bunch of us at work went and got tested to see if we would be compatable ,I got axed right off the bat due to having had kidney stones.Well one of our coworkers was a match and is going to donate Tony a kidney.Tony called me the other day to tell me about it and wants me to make a knife for the donner.We don't know to much about the donors personal life except he loves his wife dearly likes motor bikes and has some tattos.I asked Tony what he thought about a nice pocket knife and he liked that idea.I think with what little I know about this guy he would go for more of a liner lock with a pocket clip.So I am a slip joint guy and have only made 3 of those.I thought about buying a kit and making my own blade.Looking for some ideas ?

A nice handmade culinary knife goes a long way with the wives!
Bossdog here at Midwest knife maker supply at the top of this page sell a lot of different kits for making folders.

A nice handmade culinary knife goes a long way with the wives!
Bossdog here at Midwest knife maker supply at the top of this page sell a lot of different kits for making folders.

I may just get a kit and use the guts out of it and throw the rest in the junk drawer.Havnt decided yet ,maybe I will just stick to a fixed blade.I do know I want to make this guy something extrodinary for what he is doing for someone else.

I would make the recipient and his wife something they would both like. A set of 2 matching steak knives comes to mind.

Hey Paul...I will say that is an awesome thing u guys are doing..Not many people would make that sacrifice for someone they just know a little from work...I think whatever you make he will be proud to receive

God bless

Does he hunt at all? If so a nice skinner or a fillet knife? Nice thing him and you are doing

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

He is a Alaskan but I'm not sure if he hunts or fishes,I do know he likes black and white die to the fact he has some major ink work and it's all black.He recently got a new ford p/u in black.I will keep snooping around and see what I can come up with.This is going to be a surprise for him so I gota be sneeky.

Ok so this is what I've come up with,I couldn't find a liner lock kit that I liked that I could scavage parts from so I scrapped that idea and while sitting in my truck here at work started sketching and came up with this.I wanted to do something kind of art deco as I know he likes HD's and I love the old art deco style emblems from the fuel tanks of that era.So I ended up with long flowing lines and sweeping curves.After I had drawn the design I saw Lermens integral bolister wip and contacted him and showed the drawing to him to get his ok because of the blade simalarity and feel of the design and he graciously had no problem and offered any advice he could.Thank You Mr Lerman

Attachments

• IMAG0439.jpg
    IMAG0439.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 15
So this tank emblem is what inspired the design and I am thinking of this as a color scheme.Go with olive scales and a orange liner and a aged ivory/cream bolster or black bolister.

Attachments

• Tank Logo 3.jpg
    Tank Logo 3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
  • harley-racing-tank.jpg
    harley-racing-tank.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
Ok so this is what I've come up with,I couldn't find a liner lock kit that I liked that I could scavage parts from so I scrapped that idea and while sitting in my truck here at work started sketching and came up with this.I wanted to do something kind of art deco as I know he likes HD's and I love the old art deco style emblems from the fuel tanks of that era.So I ended up with long flowing lines and sweeping curves.After I had drawn the design I saw Lermens integral bolister wip and contacted him and showed the drawing to him to get his ok because of the blade simalarity and feel of the design and he graciously had no problem and offered any advice he could.Thank You Mr Lerman

Nice little EDC/Hunter for Alaska. Many of my first knives were similar in blade shape, Just more upswept, that's one of the reasons that the Rhino theme developed.

Go for it!

Harley used to sell small pins and jewelry type reproductions of the old school tank emblems, just a thought to maybe use as an inlay on the handle or pommel. As someone that has been afflicted with the HD vice/ bug for years, anything that looks like it would go with the bike is always good.

The recipient doesn't own a bike but from what info I can gather he is drawn to classic iron of all types.I don't want to do a HD knife persay I just wanted to catch the art deco style and I love that colors scheme so I'm just going with my gut.My buddy that is getting the kidney is a biker and is all over it lol.Roadapples I see your a fellow Alaskan ,Its raining up here on the slope (freezing rain) wish we could get some rain in the valley and down on the peninsula.

Back